Semaine Federale 2008

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's just possible that my wife and I will be returning through that region on the way back to the coast. It would have been very likely (and a real pleasure) were it not for the fact that she has been provisionally offered some work in Mexico and I'm tempted to go with her and spend the holiday entitlement on refried beans and tequila!

OP
OP
Y

yello

I went to book this last week and the camp site was full - 2,800 places all gone. Then I read somewhere that it's expected that around 18,000 people will take part in the week long event. So I'm now trying to console myself with that fact that I wouldn't like an event THAT popular! And the camp site is, in fact, the race course. So it'd be temporary toilets and showers etc... reminds me of a music festival. Queues for smelly, blocked loos. Did that once, never again.

Nah, I didn't want to go in the first place did I?

Cripes, didn't know anything about this. We are touring down the Loire, starting from Le Mans on the 3rd. of August and are planning to be in Saumur on the 4th. Are all the local campsites likely to be full? My French is rubbish, what's actually going on?

OP
OP
Y

yello

Dave Davenport said:
Are all the local campsites likely to be full? My French is rubbish, what's actually going on?

"Likely"!!! Absolutely guaranteed!!!! Seriously, if you've not got something sorted in Saumur already then forget it! I reckon anything within a 30km radius will be full. Of course, you can always get lucky. Local's MIGHT, entering the spirit of things, let you use their garden but I certainly wouldn't rely on it.

Semaine Fédérale is an annual event organised by the FFCT (kinda like the French equivalent of the CTC) and it is HUGELY popular. Last year's attendance over the week was something like 16,000. It attracts people from all over the world.

Top Bottom