Sentence....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Well for a start seeing as driving isn’t a right, but licenced and his driving has caused death. I reckon a years disqualification is pitiful.

Tyke

We also need to send out the message that we should not ride without Lights and Reflectors both a legal requirement and something that can save our lives in poor lighting conditions. We cannot always put the full blame on drivers if we don`t let them see us.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'd like a sentence that gives drivers cause to reflect on the serious damage they can do with a car while not paying full attention to what's in front of them.

GC

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Accidents happen, its fact of life , and lives are ripped apart through tragedy.
Anyone who drives and says they have never lost concentration for a split second in years of driving are liars.
People think a few months ban is nothing, that the driver is a callus, non caring individual, and goes on with life without a care in most cases is very wrong, in the most they are normal folk who go through life ripped apart by what they have done, and in several cases ended there own lives as they cannot live with what happened.
Every case is different and "string em up" does not apply to ever death on the road.

There was most probably a trial to establish what happened in detail, and this has been condensed into a few lines in a paper.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Accidents happen, its fact of life , and lives are ripped apart through tragedy.
Anyone who drives and says they have never lost concentration for a split second in years of driving are liars.

I don't expect anyone has, or would, say that.

This is what gives rise to juries dealing with motoring offences where someone is killed or injured to have the mindset of "There but for the grace of God..." and lend more weight to the accused's predicament than to his responsibility to be fully in control at all times.

People think a few months ban is nothing, that the driver is a callus, non caring individual, and goes on with life without a care in most cases is very wrong, in the most they normal folk who go through life ripped apart by what they have done, and in several cases ended there own lives as they cannot live with what happened.
Every case is different and "string em up" does not apply to ever death on the road.

There was most probably a trial to establish what happened in detail, and this has been condensed into a few lines in a paper.

We all make mistakes but we have to accept that even a small one, whilst in charge of a motor vehicle, can have serious consequences and that should have serious repercussions, not be viewed with a shrug while saying something like, "Crikey, I've done that myself, luckily I didn't hit anyone." The same approach isn't used with operators of any other dangerous machine or device, only with cars.

Driving a car is seen as a lifestyle thing, a social entitlement even, sold on the [false] basis of freedom, fun, convenience, looking cool and a lot of other nice fluffy things to the complete exclusion of responsibility.

It's too easy to obtain a licence and too difficult to lose one. That's a situation that ought to be reversed.

GC

davefb

Guru
We also need to send out the message that we should not ride without Lights and Reflectors both a legal requirement and something that can save our lives in poor lighting conditions. We cannot always put the full blame on drivers if we don`t let them see us.
so,

if the driver had hit a kid, would it be the same sentence..

if he'd hit a car with no lights, would it be the same?

http://road.cc/content/news/90037-d...ist-found-not-guilty-dangerous-driving-guilty

and, did he REALLY not have a light on ? the police examiner says he DID have a light.. It's also interesting that the ctc brings up the point that the law talks about sunset and that it may not have been sunset, so there was no legal requirement...

People have been fined JUST for eating a sandwich... To talk about driving 55-60 and "its okay", beggers belief..

It just seems so easy for the driver to say "well, he had no lights", how DOES he know, he didn't see him!

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
2631092 said:
I understand that. What do you think would be appropriate?
I’ll fall into the trap...

A ban of 3-5 years wouldn’t have got quite the “WTF!” reaction upon reading. I can understand there are appropriate times for incarceration and maybe this wasn’t one. But to allow someone to get his licence back after a year.

I can only hope that he’ll find it impossible to get insurance.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hopefully there will now be a civil case for damages - and although his insurance will be paying this, it will hopefully result in much, much higher premiums for many years. No amount of damages will bring someone back, but getting an award will help to make the punishment a little more serious, financially at least.

Top Bottom