Seriously Steep Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Was out yesterday and done a hill that has a bit of a reputation See map Jeez it was steep, managed to get up on my 40:28 thought my legs were going to explode. 347' ascent in ½mile. (average 13.1%)

What other test pieces to you know of, must be at least half mile to qualify?

Pretty much everywhere...I live in Switzerland.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmm, where would I begin ... :whistle:

hebden-bridge-steep-local-hills.jpg

I used to ride 40/28 too but when I got fat I started using 30/28 and find steep climbs a lot more tolerable now!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
:biggrin: Looks a little different at the top there now, and a few more houses on the way down, but that's the hill I used to cycle up on the way to school. I used to come home the longer way coz I didn't like coming down that one.

Me too.

On hills like that with sharp bends I'd rather climb than descend. I'm a nervous descender.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Me too.

On hills like that with sharp bends I'd rather climb than descend. I'm a nervous descender.

Yep, I was a cowardly descender as a kid and I have never grown out of it, also this was 32ish years ago, my brakes weren't the best. I used to come home down Tithe Pitt Shaw Lane instead, still a bit hairy but not like Succumbs Hill. Part of the problem was I had to right turn into Court Bushes Road at the bottom of Succumbs Hill. So I didn't even have the luxury of that little bit of run out, at the bottom, up to the roundabout.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Joel Lane ain't that bad (Gee Cross Dan)

Gaz you need to go to Broadbottom and climb Gorsey Brow - turn right just before the rail bridge as you go down through Broadbottom. Then if you want a real killer, loop back round, back through the village, climb upto Charlesworth and then do Chapel Brow/Monks road. At least you can whizz down Chunal after.

zizou

Veteran
Hardknott is still haunting me a couple of months since riding it - the upside of this though is hills that i've done since (which i previously thought were hard) seem pretty straight forward now!

Top Bottom