service what does it consist of?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Depends on the LBS.

I mostly use my local Evans for servicing.
and there price structure and work structure can be found here

PK99

Legendary Member
shumidrives said:
what does a full service at a lbs consist of???

errm it depends

Corridoris specs are:

[SIZE=+1]STANDARD SERVICE £45 plus parts [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] A comprehensive check on all parts. We adjust gears, brakes, true wheels and check that the bike is safe to ride with adjustments made as required, i.e. wheel bearings etc. All parts are inspected for wear or damage. All parts required although extra will be fitted with no additional labour charge. This will save you money by catching problems early on. We usually recommend a Full service once a year with an in-between standard service, especially if your bike is an ‘every day’ commuter. [SIZE=-1]Please note we do not clean your bike as part of a service, plus we will not fix filthy bikes! Please bring your bike in clean to work on, if not, cleaning as necessary will be carried out and a £15.00 charge added[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=+1]FULL SERVICE £95 plus parts[/SIZE]
This really is a FULL service! We aim to get the cycle as close to new as possible. Your bike will be carefully but fully disassembled (not including suspension units) every part will be checked, cleaned and reassembled to perfection. Hubs and headsets are cleaned, bearings replaced (cartridge are extra) and re-greased with high quality grease. All parts required are fitted at no extra labour charge. This service makes a huge difference to the feel of your bike, as mentioned above, the bike should feel like new again!

The ‘Full Service’ is normally done once a year on a well used bike, expect extras that wear out, such as brake blocks, cables and perhaps transmission items like chain and cassette,. [/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

PK99

Legendary Member
accountantpete said:
Charging you lots for elementary stuff that you could easily do yourself.

If you have the tools facilities, experience and time.....

..... a tweak here and there we can all do, stripping a bike down to its component parts, assessing and replacing as necessary and reassembling in a safe manner is likely to be beyond most DiYers even if they invest in all the correct tools.

shumidrives said:
thats why i ask could i just do all the stuff myself

Yes - there are a few fiddly bits but most of the stuff is something that you could do with learning about anyway so that you are not reliant on the LBS - eg minor wheel truing etc.

All you need are a range of allen keys, a spoke key, a screwdriver,pair of pliers and some fresh grease.

GilesM

Legendary Member
accountantpete said:
Charging you lots for elementary stuff that you could easily do yourself.

I agree, non of that is difficult, everything goes back together as it came apart (unless a hammer was needed/used to take it apart:biggrin:), I hate to think what the full service could cost when the worn parts are added aswell.

The worst part is actually cleaning the bike to get to the parts that need servicing.

OP
OP
S

shumidrives

but what persicly does a service include people????

Norm

shumidrives said:
I think that PK99 covered that fairly well but it depends on the price and the LBS and only your LBS will answer that. Basically, have a look at your bike, the service will include a check of anything that moves.

It could, for instance, include checking cables, adjusting brakes, adjusting gears, straightening wheels, tightening anything which is loose, greasing bearings (head, BB, wheel), greasing tubes and replacing anything that they think they can get away with needs replacing. :ohmy:

IMO.

Ivan Ardon

PK99 said:
If you have the tools facilities, experience and time.....

..... a tweak here and there we can all do, stripping a bike down to its component parts, assessing and replacing as necessary and reassembling in a safe manner is likely to be beyond most DiYers even if they invest in all the correct tools.

Pfft! A bicycle is a very simple machine.

A few quid on special tools (cassette lockring tool, BB tool, crank puller, spoke key, cone spanners, chain splitter) plus a few standard tools any you'll be able to do almost all of your own servicing.

If you have trouble opening a tin of beans, then perhaps you should just pay a shop to do your servicing. Otherwise, so long as you're methodical and use your brain before your hammer you'll be fine. There are plenty of web sites to give you pointers if you get stuck.

weevil

shumidrives said:

Norm said:
I think that PK99 covered that fairly well...

As did gaz's link to Evans.

Personally, I removed and disassemble everything which can be removed and disassembled, clean and degrease, then inspect (replace if necessary), regrease and reassemble. Then tweak/adjust as necessary.

For me "everything" includes things like the bearings in the pedals and the springs in cantilever brakes. I doubt that many LBSs would bother with the pedals, unless specifically instructed to do so. The labour cost would probably be more than the cost of cheap to mid-range pedals.

Norm

weevil said:
As did gaz's link to Evans.
Oops, sorry, yeah, I missed that one!

weevil said:
For me "everything" includes things like the bearings in the pedals and the springs in cantilever brakes. I doubt that many LBSs would bother with the pedals, unless specifically instructed to do so. The labour cost would probably be more than the cost of cheap to mid-range pedals.
I did the pedals in my MTB a few weeks ago. I had a few practice runs (as I stripped them and cleaned them the day before I got the grease) and I got it down to under 30 minutes each side but still, that would be £30 of shop labour which is indeed probably more than buying a new pair would have cost.

Damned site more satisfying to do it myself, though.:ohmy:

tyred

Legendary Member
I see no reason why someone methodical or of reasonable mechanical ability shouldn't be able to work on their own bikes. There is no way I would give someone £95 to service mine. Sheldon Brown and others are on the net to help if you do need help/advice. I have never paid anyone to work on my bikes or my cars. I admit being a little nervous about the prospect of servicing the Sturmey Archer hub on the bike I'm rebuilding at the moment but I figure that as it was designed in 1902, it shouldn't be rocket science and I was able to get an exploded diagram of the internet so I now know what to expect.

Top Bottom