Service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
Shorinjidude said:
Hi all, after nine months commutting on my Boardman Comp Hybrid (12 miles a day, 5 days a week) I took her in for a service £45 I thought was good. Utterly shocked that I needed a new chain, new cassette and new brake pads to the total tune of £151.00! Or, one third of the cost a new bike after just nine months. Also told I would need a new front cog soon as this is wearing as well. Is this amount of wear normal in a commuter bike? I cleaned an oiled the chain every couple of weeks admittedly a bit of a slacker here :biggrin:

Looks like I'm going to need a book and start doing these things myself just living on the third floor with only a tiny balcony isn't the best way to strip a bike me thinks.

I know it's £20 just to bleed your brakes if that helps !? I am really bad at cleaning my hybrid. It's had 2 tough winters now and nothing has been replaced yet. Did you have to get it serviced at Halfords ? Surely the parts have 12 months warranty ?

leyton condor

Veteran
Brake blocks maybe, but chain and cassette?
Fair enough maybe if you are racing, but for commuting I generally run things into the ground.
I also do 60 or so miles per week and my campag chain and sprockets lasted me 8 years. Yes the chain was pretty much gone, but it still worked and didn't break.
I think that if you keep the bike clean, lubricated and adjusted the "if it aint broken don't fix it" rule works quite well.
O'r maybe I am just mean.

OP
OP
S

Shorinjidude

Über Member
Thanks for the replies. I've bought from amazon as I have some outstandind vouchers, they also have a maintenance stand for £18 as well which should be okay for my needs. TBH the guys at the local Halfords to where I work in the city are great and really helpful, the problem is I'm not a banker and I'm sure they as we all do in retail/service have to hit their targets. When I can gt brake pads for £6 why pay £20? The young guy servicing my bike was actally mainly watching as they had the main Halfords servicing teacher in that day, the young lad was obviously feeling a bit put out by my reeling at the price and so when I said that I'd buy the pads online he told me to call in and he would fit my pads himself for free! I'll do them myself though as he might get in trouble. Good job they didn't have any in stock.

Have to say I'll never go for disc brakes again, neither Halfords or my LBS have been able to sort out the front disc, if it brakes well it squeeks/clicks as it spins, if I loosen the brake it only does it when I stand up to pedel but of course weak brakes this has again been made much worse after this service. I was wondering if the disc was buckled but can't see it myself.

ASC1951

Guru
Shorinjidude said:
Can anyone help? ...

Are they the same? The pic in Evans site has square and round discs but is double the price.
And that is the problem with buying everything online. Fine once you know what you need, but before that you can waste a lot of money.

£45 for an annual service may be at the higher end, but not disgracefully so. An equivalent car service from someone reliable is usually two or three times as much and these days cars are mainly swap-and-start rather than adjustments.

I do most of my maintenance myself, but when it comes to it I would rather keep my LBS in business than some box-shifter off the M25.

Beaker39

Shorinjidude said:
Have to say I'll never go for disc brakes again, neither Halfords or my LBS have been able to sort out the front disc, if it brakes well it squeeks/clicks as it spins, if I loosen the brake it only does it when I stand up to pedel but of course weak brakes this has again been made much worse after this service. I was wondering if the disc was buckled but can't see it myself.

I had a similar problem but it did this more or less from day 1. After much messing about of adjusting and re-adjusting it turned out the welded mount on the forks hadn't been welded on straight. So no matter what you did the disc was never going to sit right between the pads. Maybe worth a look.

Disks are normally fine, in fact great. Sounds like you may possibly have a problem such as Beaker39 suggests.

I did hear that there a few problems with brake mounts causing noisy braking on earlier Boardman Hybrids.

OP
OP
S

Shorinjidude

Über Member
Got my torx key from amazon. Changed the rear brake pads last night - took a while but got brilliant back brake now :biggrin: Not as hard as I thought re-setting up the brakes - cheers all!

Top Bottom