Servicing SPD-SL pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Out on a club ride today and noticed my right cleat wasn't snapping into place. I could still pedal ok and got lift on the up stroke, but it was definitely loose to the extent I didn't want to give it 100% for fear of the cleat slipping out at the wrong moment.

Got home and noticed there is some sort of pin/axle that isn't 100% in place, causing the spring mech element to not close fully. A small gap is visible (see the yellow cap in pic).

I've removed the pedal, and that pin is 100% out of place compared to the left one. Is it serviceable, or am I looking for new pedals?

Attachments

• 20231119_134937.jpg
    20231119_134937.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 25

Colin S

Über Member
Out on a club ride today and noticed my right cleat wasn't snapping into place. I could still pedal ok and got lift on the up stroke, but it was definitely loose to the extent I didn't want to give it 100% for fear of the cleat slipping out at the wrong moment.

Got home and noticed there is some sort of pin/axle that isn't 100% in place, causing the spring mech element to not close fully. A small gap is visible (see the yellow cap in pic).

I've removed the pedal, and that pin is 100% out of place compared to the left one. Is it serviceable, or am I looking for new pedals?

Its very difficult to see from the picture.
This is a pin and you can probably just tighten it back up. Ideally I would remove it and put it back in with some Loctite.
It will almost certainly be an easy repair.

C

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Its very difficult to see from the picture.
This is a pin and you can probably just tighten it back up. Ideally I would remove it and put it back in with some Loctite.
It will almost certainly be an easy repair.

C

Thanks. The pin runs the full width of the pedal, but doesn't appear to have anywhere to purchase to tighten/turn.

Ajax Bay

Guru
My 105s have a posidrive headed screw at the end of that axle. My Ultegras have that capped off with a blank (assume plastic).
The pedal is not fit for purpose as is, so I think you have to explore the blanked off little 'ole. Maybe it'll give you access to the axle end and you can tap it back into place with a drift.
I have perfectly functioning RH pedal 105 (the plate on the LH one has broken at the screw) . . . If you can't repair your RH one, I guess the left has value.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
My 105s have a posidrive headed screw at the end of that axle. My Ultegras have that capped off with a blank (assume plastic).
The pedal is not fit for purpose as is, so I think you have to explore the blanked off little 'ole. Maybe it'll give you access to the axle end and you can tap it back into place with a drift.
I have perfectly functioning RH pedal 105 (the plate on the LH one has broken at the screw) . . . If you can't repair your RH one, I guess the left has value.

Thanks. I will give it all a wiggle and see if I can get it back in place.

Top Bottom