Servicing Wheel Bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My back wheel; on the Scott Speedster is making a rumbling sound when I spin it with the bike up on the wall rack.

As the bike is less than 6 months old I phoned the shop and they said bring it in for them to service the wheelbearings as its probably a bit of grit or something got in there.

Not sure if they will charge me or do it on warranty but either way I am tempted to have a go myself.I have watched the tutorial with the American guy called bike tutor and it seems straight forward enough to strip down clean and replace the ball bearings.

Should I leave it to the shop or give it a go and what pitfalls should I avoid?

C

chillyuk

Let the shop do it on a relatively "young" wheel. If they fail to cure it and it needs a new wheel then it is down to them. Do it yourself and they will blame you, even if you do a good job.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

chillyuk said:
Let the shop do it on a relatively "young" wheel. If they fail to cure it and it needs a new wheel then it is down to them. Do it yourself and they will blame you, even if you do a good job.

Yeah good point. I think I will service mrs banjos wheels first as they are long out of warranty etc and cheaper wheels anyway.

bad boy

Über Member
I also doubt this will be covered under warranty its generally deemed wear and tear.

I have had to do my rear hub twice this winter due to the appalling weather, it was making a similar sound to what you described.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Banjo said:
Yeah good point. I think I will service mrs banjos wheels first as they are long out of warranty etc and cheaper wheels anyway.

Yep - practise where a balls up will be less serious and cheaper to sort out.

S'not difficult BTW. You'll need some cone spanners for older/cheaper wheels. I am yet to experience cartridge bearings in wheels but I expect they are out there somewhere.

D

Deleted member 1258

twentysix by twentyfive said:
Yep - practise where a balls up will be less serious and cheaper to sort out.
S'not difficult BTW. You'll need some cone spanners for older/cheaper wheels. I am yet to experience cartridge bearings in wheels but I expect they are out there somewhere.

When the cartridge bearings in the wheels on my Pearson needed changing I had the LBS do the job, they charged fifteen quid a wheel which seemed reasonable.

Armegatron

I had to do the front bearing on my Scott this winter. I'm a novice but was surprised by how straight forward it was. It defiantly helped having a grease gun though, so might be worth considering a purchase.

If you can ascertain the size then an upgrade can be performed by getting Grade 10 bearings - these will be smoother and rounder with the same strength than the originals.

a pack of 50 costs £7 or so - these guys are recommended for service and quality

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

accountantpete said:
If you can ascertain the size then an upgrade can be performed by getting Grade 10 bearings - these will be smoother and rounder with the same strength than the originals.

a pack of 50 costs £7 or so - these guys are recommended for service and quality

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/

Thanks for that. I have given it to the shop to do this time but will get the neccessary bits and bobs needed to diy in future.

andyhunter

very easy and simple to change wheel bearings, though make sure not to damage the new ones when you put them in as you need a special tool to do it which is sort of like tweezers, make sure you also replace with the exact same size of bearings you took out. i got ceramic bearings out of chain reaction cycles for 28quid each for my mavic es wheels to put in the rear as i already got the front done by a bike shop. They told me bearings should be replaced every year which is true, some difference between the old feeling and the new feeling.

Top Bottom