Setting up brake blocks - How to guide?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

Hi. Can soneone point me to a Hoe to guide to adjust those MTB brake blocks that can be adjusted in all directions - toeing in/out, length of brake block stem, angle of approach to wheel rim, up or down the calipers?

There are so many variables I am never sure if I have set them up correctly. Some kind of guide would be good.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The way I do it is I put the blocks in and tighten them so they're just a bit loose and I can move 'em around without them flopping around too much, then I apply the brake and wiggle them around to line them up with the rim just right. Then I tighten them in place. After that I release the brake, check they don't rub- adjust as required (balancing the tension with those little cross head screws on the brake arms)

Then I go for a little ride, mostly they are just fine. Occasionally they'll grab or squeal, (softer pads seem to like squealing more than harder compound pads). I go back and toe them in a bit- I stick a business card under the back edge of the pad and repeat what I did the first time. Then I try it again until they shut up. Usually they are fine first time and it's a quick job.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Just seen your other thread- I was assuming V-brakes and it looks like you have cantis. Positioning the pads is the same anyway.

jimboalee

palinurus said:
The way I do it is I put the blocks in and tighten them so they're just a bit loose and I can move 'em around without them flopping around too much, then I apply the brake and wiggle them around to line them up with the rim just right. Then I tighten them in place. After that I release the brake, check they don't rub- adjust as required (balancing the tension with those little cross head screws on the brake arms)

Then I go for a little ride, mostly they are just fine. Occasionally they'll grab or squeal, (softer pads seem to like squealing more than harder compound pads). I go back and toe them in a bit- I stick a business card under the back edge of the pad and repeat what I did the first time. Then I try it again until they shut up. Usually they are fine first time and it's a quick job.

Do this, but put a folded cigarette packet between block and rim at the back edge of the block.

02GF74

Über Member
jimboalee said:
Do this, but put a folded cigarette packet between block and rim at the back edge of the block.

not much use if you are a non-smoker.:wacko:

I have been known to use a credit card or 5 p piece to set the toe-in.;)

jimboalee

02GF74 said:
not much use if you are a non-smoker.:biggrin:

I have been known to use a credit card or 5 p piece to set the toe-in.xx(

Even a non-smoking LBS 'old timer' will have a fag packet lying around for such tasks as setting toe-in and other tasks such as jotting down.....

1/30 x 1000 = 33

I generally use the cardboard the blocks were attached to.

Top Bottom