Setting up the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sawyer280769

been away for a while and trying to get back on the bike. I have a BMC sl01 road racer road bike. It's a 54(?) size and I really want it set up properly. I'm 5'9" tall with 30" inside leg. Getting knee pain when I go out on a longish ride and I'm guessing the bike is not set up properly. Any tips or hints

Levo-Lon

Guru
Get someone to have a look at you on the bike ,or a good bike shop will help you get set up ..then you can tweak for comfort..

also a local cycle club will have a wealth of knowledge..
you could put a pic on here with you sat on the bike side on and a few will tell you where you need to be..
54frame and your height and inseam will be ok ,you just need to get stem ,seat and bar postion right For you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you using clipless pedals?

Plenty of YouTube videos on how to set saddle height which is the first thing to get right

I assume when you bought the bike, they confirmed it was the right size. Knee pain suggests saddle position and potentially cleat position is out

Also if it only comes in late into a ride, it may be due to fatigue affecting the muscles you are using while pedalling

Do you stretch or foam roll after riding?

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you done the dangle test to see how your feet position and adjusted cleat angle and position to fit?

vickster

Legendary Member
Sit on the edge of a table, hang your legs and see how your feet point, you need the cleat position to be compatible with that, if your toes naturally point in or outdoor example (pronation)

Top Bottom