Setting Up Zwift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oosman

Regular
Greetings,
Hope you all are fine. I’m just putting the plans together for my turbo trainer. If you use Apple TV is it just a case of using the app and pairing this to the tv?
My next question is more on the WiFi connection as it will be in my outside shed, I have power I can run there but it has concrete walls along with the house so the signal is a bit weak. I was planning on getting a wifi extender or I could just use one of the plugs that you connect to your router then plug one of these into my shed and then use a network cable to connect the apply tv. I’m sure this would work even though I will be running it on an extension lead into the shed from an outside socket.
Would the Kickr have to be connected to WiFi to or is it fine as long as it connects to just the Apple TV? If that needs a connection then I’m guessing I would have to get a WiFi booster.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Hello!

Apple TV is a very simple and affordable way to run Zwift (unless you have an old laptop or something already available) and very widely used. It has benefits over other platforms like app updates all happening in the background rather than on launch, but there are two things to be aware of. Firstly, it can only accept two Bluetooth connections (plus the remote). This should be fine if you’re just planning to use a Kickr and heart rate monitor, but any more sensors and you will need to pair through the companion app on android or iOS (not a big deal tbh - you won’t tell any difference in game whether a sensor is paired directly or via companion app).

For connectivity - home plugs are the way to go. I’d suggest a set which give you a cabled Ethernet connection in the shed for the Apple TV and it’s own wireless network for your phone while you’re down there (that means you can use companion app and stream media etc). They’re pretty cheap - I got a set for under £50 last year. I’d suggest a different wireless network name in the shed to avoid your device getting confused and switching between the two networks unintentionally.

The Kickr will connect via Bluetooth to either the Zwift app running on Apple TV or the companion app running on your phone.

Any other questions just fire away 👍

Oh and p.s the Apple remote is tricky to use with sweaty hands (touch sensitive so input gets tricky and it’s glass/aluminium depending on which one you get so gets a bit slippery - I’d suggest a silicone case for the remote)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use powerline extenders with my Zwift PC connected to the powerline extender with cat5 cable. I also have mesh wifi but the pc doesn't have wifi.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Power line in a plug socket out in the shed then either a dedicated Wi-Fi AP (you can reconfigure old redundant routers for this if you want to) running from that or an Ethernet cable from the power line plug to the ATV box, but this won’t necessarily get over a weak Wi-Fi signal for whatever device you will use for the companion app (which is why the dedicated Access Point in the garage is a better choice).

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
In my outbuilding, the lecktrickery comes through a separate consumer unit from the main house so powerline extender in the shed won't work, but it's only about 6m from the kitchen window where I've got a TPLink booster plugged in, so I think I'll be able to get the wifi to stretch...

straas

Matt
In my outbuilding, the lecktrickery comes through a separate consumer unit from the main house so powerline extender in the shed won't work, but it's only about 6m from the kitchen window where I've got a TPLink booster plugged in, so I think I'll be able to get the wifi to stretch...

My wifi extender currently lives in a drawer. Hate it.

CXRAndy

Guru

Sometimes the signal will go through a consumer unit. I've got that setup. House to garage, through two consumer units, then 80yds cat lead to summer house. Signal works fine with minimal loss in speed

BurningLegs

Veteran
I'm no sparky but I think its to do with RCD? Home plugs don't work on surge protected extension leads either 🙂

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I did not have much joy with Wi-Fi-extenders, power lines were pretty successful but obviously you need Wi-Fi at the other end which proved flaky. A mesh system (Deco) has been perfect for me.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have a mini consumer unit in the garage but power line plugged into a garage socket works fine. Maybe the garage consumer unit runs off the main one somehow…. I fact I’m pretty certain it does and there’s a MCB in the main consumer unit guess it depends on the setup per house.

never had much luck with wireless extenders, prob because they’re pony

Last edited:
Top Bottom