settled on the Shimano M520 SPDs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jmetz

Next question. Shoes.

I imagine there are important things to consider when shopping for them?

I've read about 'hotspots' although I'm not sure I understand what they are!?!?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
They're the pressure points - SPDs have a small cleat, so if the sole isn't stiff, it feels like all your effort is going through about a square inch on the bottom of your foot.
I've never found it to be an issue, myself, although some do.

jimboalee

Jmetz said:
Ok so need a stiff sole. Is fit key? I.e should the shoes be tight and snug or give some breathing space?

Get your feet measured.

Make sure the shoes are wide enough, and big enough to be loosened a little. You will be cursing snug shoes after 100km.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have a pair of dhb SPD road shoes from wiggle.Have done a few hundred milers in them plus several shorter rides and they are very comfortable and light with lots of breathable bits.Order the same size as you normally would for ordinary shoes.

I also have a pair of Lidls SPD mountain bike shoes only cost £18 very comfortable and easy to walk in but a bit heavy.I prefer these for social rides involving pubs afes etc as dont scratch floors like the road ones.Once again these are sized the same as all my shoes.

I believe Shimano shoes have to be ordered in smaller sizes,seems crazy to me to complicate the process but whatever.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
get some idea of your actually shoe size by getting measured, then be aware that not all shoes of the same nominal size are the same size and what works for one style of cycling might not be best for another. Mainly this is down to the last used. Shimano shoes use a narrower last than, say, Spesh. Having the right width is critical; as Jimbolee says, if the shoe is to narrow you will be in for a world of unexpected pain on a century ride.

For example my shoes; Old, very old, Spesh Rockhopper MTB boots size 45 fine for mtbing all day, agony on the road after two three hours but the pain, outside of right foot, can be switched off by unclipping and wiggling my toes whilst still pedalling. Spesh Tahoes size 46, great for my hourish commute, or arsing about on the MTB, or indeed touring (I stop and walk about a lot "oh look a castle", "oh look a canal", "oh look a bike shop" etc., etc..) but way too flexible for long road rides in the saddle. Same deal as the mtb boots pain wise. Spesh BG Sport size 47; shoe Nirvana, big enough wide enough can ride centuries in them only stopping for red lights. Lake SPD sandals size 44/45, go figure! on paper way too small but being sandals that I wear to go down the shops or out with the slow socials on a club ridse to a pub? Fine.

Shimano shoes in any size... start hurting before I've even done the laces up. That last is too narrow.

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

So sounds like stearing clear of the shimanos. I need shoes I can walk in too as my commute involves a train ride.

I presume the lbs should be able to fit me?

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

After much internet browsing. I am now worried that the SPDs won't be good for any ride of substantial distance. Yes I commute and that maxs at 20miles one way. However I like my long rides too.

What would people suggest? Are SPDs suitable?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I use spuds for rides of all distances- they're on all of my bikes basically. Most mid-level MTB shoes are OK to walk in as well.

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

Good stuff. I'm just scared to spend money on a set of shoes and pedals only to find I can't do distances of upto and beyong 100miles

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Jmetz said:
Good stuff. I'm just scared to spend money on a set of shoes and pedals only to find I can't do distances of upto and beyong 100miles
I've done many very hilly rides of 100-140 miles and haven't had any more problems with SPD shoes/pedals than I had with my LOOKs. I know lots of people who use for them for even longer rides without any problems.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
mtb spd's on all my bikes, mtb shoes on all my feet, longest road ride to date is 150+ miles in a day. I may have been more efficient, effective, and/or comfortable with road shoes and pedals/cleats but I've no control to test this against.

Walkability - I'd 'walk to town' in my Tahoes & without cleats they'd be an ok light walking hiking shoe. I wouldn't 'walk to town' in my BG Sports. Too rigid a sole.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
For getting on and off trains you definitely want a shoe with the cleats recessed into the sole so you can walk fairly normally in them. My spd road shoes could be dangerous on a wet train platform ,wouldnt fancy that at all.

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

That's fine. I just wanted my mind putting at ease regarding pain at distance. Any recommendations on shoes to go with the said SPDs or even other pedals. I'm not looking too spend crazy money tho

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Jmetz said:
That's fine. I just wanted my mind putting at ease regarding pain at distance. Any recommendations on shoes to go with the said SPDs or even other pedals. I'm not looking too spend crazy money tho
In that case, keep your eyes open for LIDL and ALDI special offers. My sister bought me a pair of SPD shoes for under £20 from ALDI and they are okay. Not brilliant, but I did all those 100 mile-plus rides in them, no problems.

Top Bottom