Setup: CycleOps Magnus / BKool Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PittCaleb

Received my CycleOps Magnus on Dec 24th with the desire to use it with BKool to ride actual routes on roads I'm familiar with (i.e. home to Princeton) as well as unique rides (Tour stages, etc).

I believe with CycleOps, you're supposed to "calibrate" it - and using their software, we did a very brief calibration and then ride using their SW.

Then yesterday I wanted to ride a BKool route. There is no 'calibration' piece, so the first question would be - should I go into the CycleOps software and calibrate it there first?

I jumped into a ride, first time in BKool, and on a true road bike, I was in my tallest gear and had little resistance (problem #1) and while pedaling at a very good clip, with an unchanging cadence, the speed would vascilate between 15 - 25 MPH seemingly randomly (problem #2). When I would be at a steady state and accelerate deliberately, the speed would not change. I will note it constantly stated "virtual speed" which appears in another thread, wondering if this is not "actual" speed. Something is horribly amiss, at the cadence/gear I was in, should have been 30 MPH easy.

But I need to get the resistance much greater, shouldn't be in that gear honestly.

During set-up, it saw "Magnus" but it wouldn't do anything with that. I selected a different option (it saw 3 or 4 different devices during sync). What device should I be selecting for the app to control the trainer? And receive proper data from it?

Any help greatly appreciated. I know I'm working to get 2 different devices talking to each other, but they should work. The hardware set-up I am using right now is an Android tablet, that's the desired solution long-term, can try laptop if that would help, but not preferred solution long-term.

Thanks - and hope to be a part of the BKool community shortly!
PittCaleb

OP
OP
P

PittCaleb

In reading some other posts, I saw someone mentioned that to set your weight inside the BKool app/website. I will note, I did this test ride last night. I *know* in the app, i told it 185 lbs, but today on the website, it had me at 30 kg. I changed that. No idea if the web/app are linked, but when I test again, at least that item will be proper, even if it was last night.

Top Bottom