Shakespeare 100 sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodie

Looks a really nice route Rob. The section to the first feed I know well (somehow I thought you would use the nasty little ramp from Langley to Claverdon :rolleyes: ) and I have done some riding through Bideford and beyond and also the run back to Stratford. Anyone that is doing this that doesnt know the area is in for a treat, its really pretty and a joy to cycle in.

Pity it looks like I'll be doing it on one leg following my fall last week...oh well, rule #5 will have to apply.

OP
OP
W

Wilf

Ah well! here we are five days away from my first 100 miler, and sadly my training dropped off badly, with family holidays work etc!, prior to that i was cycling 30 miles(flat) 18(hilly) 10mile(tt29 min) before work in the morning and several 50 plus rides at a weekend. I am so apprehensive about the ride now it is unbelieveable, i am having nightmare about the saintbury secion , and whether i just blow up, and struggle round.
I really want to do the 100 mile route but everywhere i read about sportives they say you should regularly ride 70 to 80m miles by the time of the event.

cheers
wilf

Gary D

Wilf,
I am in exactly the same position as you! :blush:

I am riding the Shakespeare 100 this Sunday as my first 100 mile ride. Just been on holiday for a couple of weeks - so same there as well! My fitness has certainly dropped off. Furthest I have ridden this year is about 65 miles.

I am determined to do the 100 miles though as I have got a few people to sponsor me - but they only pay up if I complete the ride. :wacko: I have decided the only way I will get round is to pace myself slowly and not try to follow groups ( I think I might fit some lights though - just in case it's dark when I finish!). If you would like to go round with someone at a slow steady pace then let me know.

Otherwise, good luck and I might see you there :hello:

Gary.

robgul

Legendary Member
Now, I don't want to encourage you to give up or cheat BUT if you are riding the 100 miler and start to flag there are two options (downloading the route sheets from the website will help)

1 At Mickleton the 100 mile veers off to the right for a bit on the flat and then ascends the mighty Saintbury Hill (think of the Galibier!) - the 100km route turns left and goes up Bakers Hill (still a climb but I've been up it on a fixed)

The routes meet again for about .5 of a mile through Ebrington and then ..

2 The 100 mile continues towards Paxford and the "southern loop" while the 100km turns left and continues eventually meeting the 100 mile again near Ilmington

So - you can either miss the Saintbury bit, or the southern loop and still enjoy some challenging riding in great countryside... and before you ask the relative distances, I don't know from the top of my head.

AND - if you haven't entered, as I write there are only about 8 places left on the 100km ride - 100 mile is full - and no entries on the day, sorry.

Rob

OP
OP
W

Wilf

Now, I don't want to encourage you to give up or cheat BUT if you are riding the 100 miler and start to flag there are two options (downloading the route sheets from the website will help)

1 At Mickleton the 100 mile veers off to the right for a bit on the flat and then ascends the mighty Saintbury Hill (think of the Galibier!) - the 100km route turns left and goes up Bakers Hill (still a climb but I've been up it on a fixed)

The routes meet again for about .5 of a mile through Ebrington and then ..

2 The 100 mile continues towards Paxford and the "southern loop" while the 100km turns left and continues eventually meeting the 100 mile again near Ilmington

So - you can either miss the Saintbury bit, or the southern loop and still enjoy some challenging riding in great countryside... and before you ask the relative distances, I don't know from the top of my head.

AND - if you haven't entered, as I write there are only about 8 places left on the 100km ride - 100 mile is full - and no entries on the day, sorry.

Rob

OP
OP
W

Wilf

the mighty Saintbury Hill (think of the Galibier!) Yikes! i like hills but not sure after 80 miles
blush.gif

OP
OP
W

Wilf

Wilf,
I am in exactly the same position as you! :blush:

I am riding the Shakespeare 100 this Sunday as my first 100 mile ride. Just been on holiday for a couple of weeks - so same there as well! My fitness has certainly dropped off. Furthest I have ridden this year is about 65 miles.

I am determined to do the 100 miles though as I have got a few people to sponsor me - but they only pay up if I complete the ride. :wacko: I have decided the only way I will get round is to pace myself slowly and not try to follow groups ( I think I might fit some lights though - just in case it's dark when I finish!). If you would like to go round with someone at a slow steady pace then let me know.

Otherwise, good luck and I might see you there :hello:

Gary.

OP
OP
W

Wilf

Hi Gary

Yes gary i am driving from northamptonshire sunday morning, and it would be good to meet up on the day and suffer together so to speak.
biggrin.gif

robgul

Legendary Member
the mighty Saintbury Hill (think of the Galibier!) Yikes! i like hills but not sure after 80 miles
blush.gif

Nah, Saintbury is only about 45 miles into the 100 miles ... seriously, the 100 mile course is designed to have a pleasant undulating ride to the finish for the last 20 or so miles, rather than any gratuitous climbs 10 miles from home ....

Rob

Gary D

Rob,
Thanks, I really wish you hadn't told me about the "Saintbury Cop-Out" route :whistle: :whistle:

Just mapped it out on BikeRoute Toaster and I make it 159 km. Interstingly, the proper route actually comes out at 170 km?

Gary.

Wilf, I have sent you a PM.

robgul

Legendary Member
Rob,
Thanks, I really wish you hadn't told me about the "Saintbury Cop-Out" route :whistle: :whistle:

Just mapped it out on BikeRoute Toaster and I make it 159 km. Interstingly, the proper route actually comes out at 170 km?

Gary.

Wilf, I have sent you a PM.

The distance thing is a constant issue - the "official" measurement is a shade over 100 miles and that's from the Ordnance Survey maps - our measurements with a variety of tools are a couple of miles either way.

Most of the online mapping things use Google maps which, from experience, have significant inaccuracies (roads missing and roads marked that don't exist - as well as differing point-to-point distances) when compared with the OS - that just makes for even more confusion!

Whatever - rest assured that a) if you ride more than 100 miles there will not be an extra charge, or b) if you ride
less than 100 miles there will be no refunds :biggrin:

Rob

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Typically, the weather is now looking very poor.
It is, isn't it! :sad:

I was planning to do the 100 miler but I might switch to the 100 km route at the decision point if conditions are really crap.

I'll put both the routes on my GPS just in case. (I like to have backup in case the local scrotes fiddle with the signs.)

If anybody would like to ride round at a steady pace with me, let me know and we can meet up at the start. I'll check this thread again on Saturday evening. :thumbsup:

Bodie

Define steady....

( it can mean "I'm going to steadily increase the pace until you start to cry" or "well, Wiggo wouldn't even consider this steady")

Top Bottom