Share the Road 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoppym27

Anyone done the 46 mile route on this before? Im looking for my first sportive and its local ish and I can do that distance, I was just concerned about cut off times, i.e is there any?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't worry about any cut off times. You are riding on the public roads. They wont tell you to get off the route.
Just take it easy and at your own pace. Hook up with others riding at a similar pace and you will be fine.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Anyone done the 46 mile route on this before? Im looking for my first sportive and its local ish and I can do that distance, I was just concerned about cut off times, i.e is there any?
I wouldn't worry about that, if you can do the distance you'll almost certainly be fine. To be honest, at most sportives you'd have to be a pretty unfit cyclist to finish outside the time cut

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
First sportive I did we rolled in and everyone had packed up and gone home. Including the van with the free tee shirts :sad: . We were indeed very unfit, but added on to that was an enormous plague of (incompetently fixed) punctures too.
Strange, most sportives would send a search party if you didn't turn up after a while, rather than packing up and going home.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@hoppym27 you couldn't have picked a better sportive for your first. It's a great route ridden by mostly local cyclists all of whom are a great bunch. Only 200 places are ever available. You'll see a large contingent from my club, Chorley Cycling Club, possibly 20-25 riders. Watch out for green and black shirts if you fancy a chat with any of us.

Do turn up early and register before you ride as you won't be able to take part if you don't. Clearly no one can stop you riding the route. Contrary to posts above the organisers will not depart until everyone has signed back in. They might clear up but won't leave.

Roots cafe is an excellent cycling cafe, great food and atmosphere. If you order beans on toast go for the one slice option - two slices and you won't need to eat for a week!! :smile: :smile:

If you haven't joined the Facebook group it's best to do so. Then you'll be able to see more details.

If you fancy another great day out on our local lanes search for the Lewis Balyckyi ride. Follow the link below for details about Lewis and the ride. Always well supported by local clubs and riders.

http://www.lbtf.org/

Have a great day at STR

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

Thank you @PaulSB ...im really looking forward to it...what time would you recommend to turn up for registration?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thank you @PaulSB ...im really looking forward to it...what time would you recommend to turn up for registration?

I think riders leave at 8.30 so I will be aiming to get there 7.30/7.45. As it's your first sportive you might want to do the same. It's a very simple process but always best to have time to spare.

I'm on the Savage Fox route, 68 miles. You'll be on Wild Boar. If you want to say hello and spot me - I'll be wearing green and black shirt (there will be a lot of those), probably on a grey Cervelo C3 but if the weather is really bad I might leave her at home in which case I'll be on at all black tourer wth "Ewood Bikes" on the frame. I'm 63, bald.

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

I think riders leave at 8.30 so I will be aiming to get there 7.30/7.45. As it's your first sportive you might want to do the same. It's a very simple process but always best to have time to spare.

I'm on the Savage Fox route, 68 miles. You'll be on Wild Boar. If you want to say hello and spot me - I'll be wearing green and black shirt (there will be a lot of those), probably on a grey Cervelo C3 but if the weather is really bad I might leave her at home in which case I'll be on at all black tourer wth "Ewood Bikes" on the frame. I'm 63, bald.

Thanks...ill look out for you..my name's Ian...ill be on a bright red pinnacle hybrid..probably wearing a blue and black btwin jersey...im very much looking forward to it!

Top Bottom