Shared passageway/boundaries/any solicitors here?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
People,

My mum's house in Sheffield, is an old mid-terraced Victorian house. As with a lot of houses of that era, there is a shared passageway between adjoining houses to get from the front street to the small shared backyard. Look at this this pic for an example of what I mean.

Unlike the one in the photo, our passage entrance is arched and some of the bricks above it have started to become dangerously loose. I spoke to the fella who owns the adjoining house and he says he isn't responsible for repair costs since the bedroom ABOVE the passage entrance is part of mum's house and not his (similar to the one in the photo, again).

What do you reckon? Has he got a point? Intuitively, I would've thought the archway/passage (a shared thoroughfare) was a shared property. What do you all think?

Thanks

Milo

Guru
Sounds shared to me but cant say that for definate im afraid.

col

Legendary Member
The deed plans will show what part of the building is yours,and what your responsible for,a trip to where or whoever is holding them for you is called for .

Abitrary

Yep, agree with col. Get on the case *straight away* and down to the solicitors or who else has the plans.

This sort of stuff isn't clear cut so get the upper hand.

domtyler

Über Member
There is a technical term for this but I can't remember it. Whose house is above the alley?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
we had this, our house was next to the ginnel with next door's built over. i think it was his responsibility for it. sorry :rolleyes:

Top Bottom