'Shared Space' head cam footage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dr_Smith

Hi All,

Am new to these parts mainly due to the intial stages of a research project (although I will be looking for some tips on converting my old Dawes to a fixie... but don't let that put you off).

Basically, I'm interested in a 'new' urban design strategy called 'shared space'. As some of you will know, these are traffic junctions and other intersection points where all signage, traffic lights, and distinctions between lanes are removed and, thus, removing fixed ideas about right of way between pedestrians, drivers and of course cyclists. I'm interested in the ways in which these spaces are negotiated with recourse to road markings, signs, crossings, lights etc.

I'd love to hear from anyone who regularly cycles through such a 'shared space' (Bath, Bristol, London, Poynton have one) but also, and especially, anyone who has video footage that they would be willing to share. Or if anyone knows of any good footage available on the web that would be great too.

I can offer nothing in return other than a contribution to the progress of human knowledge and a pint if ever we were to meet!

Cheers

Rob

Tcr4x4

Veteran
I often drive through such an area in Gloucester, and have dashcams fitted to both of my vehicles, my car has front and rear recording, my van has front only. I can upload some footage next time I go through it if you want, but it will be from a vehicle POV not cyclist.

OP
OP
D

Dr_Smith

That would be great - I wasn't particularly after a 'cyclists' perspective but thought it was a good place to start.
If you could contact me directly (not sure how on this site) I can give you an e-mail address which would probably be easier?

Thanks a lot Tcr.

If anyone else has such footage - or knows of a good source - I'd be very grateful.

Cheers
Rob

I wouldn't say shared space is new, the concept has been out there for quite a while. I dont cycle in those areas but you'll find many UK examples and check out Manual for Streets 1 and Designing Streets.

Edit

Oh and I take it youve seen the youtube Video Poynton Regenerated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dr_Smith

Hi HLaB,

Thanks for the response.

No, it's not, especially 'new' across Europe (hence the scare marks), but is receiving more attention recently. I'm familiar with the documents and the film.

Whilst there have been some empirical studies, none (to my knowledge) have systematically analysed what I'd call the 'interaction order' of these spaces. Hence my search for video data. Although it's looking like going there myself is going to be the best option...

Lincov

Sorry, no video data, but there's a couple of those in Coventry and the general principle seems to be that the bigger you are the higher your priority.

Lincov

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Whilst Poynton isn't too bad to cycle through, I actually think the shared space idea is of little benefit to the cyclist. A lot of care is afforded to pedestrians when they cross the perceived carrigeway. However I haven't felt the same level of care from motorists on my bike. I preferred to cycle up to the lights wait for the filter and make the turn. Now you have two adjacent delineated roundabouts that are "not roundabouts" to negotiate. No one knows who is to go next and although driving in a car it seems quite calming, on the bike somewhat more disconcerting. Also the kerbs that aren't kerbs are a bit of a nightmare on a bike as they will have you off particularly in the wet.
All that said Poynton is booming unlike many other local centres. The arrival of Waitrose, Costa and free parking may have influenced this a little though. :whistle:

Linford

I've cycled through the Gloucester one. Little different from a regular road, but hate it as a pedestrian. Confidence giving they aren't. Can't imagine how bad it would be for a partially sighted or deaf pedestrian. I just imagine they just avoid it completely.

tggzzz

Whilst there have been some empirical studies, none (to my knowledge) have systematically analysed what I'd call the 'interaction order' of these spaces. Hence my search for video data. Although it's looking like going there myself is going to be the best option...

Going to see what's there is always a good option. For example, if you go to Poynton you will see the "very distressed" new blocks and setts, not to mention the sinking drains.

A good solid academic report into the Ashford scheme is available at http://eprints.uwe.ac.uk/17937/
  • It uses video to analyse pedestrians movements. The concept of pedestrians following their desire lines is a fallacy
  • It asked pedestrians their opinions. 91% of women are "anxious", familiarity breeds dissatisfaction, 80% felt safer before its introduction - none of which is surprising since the proclaimed safety relies on drivers recognising and acting on the mantra "very dangerous is safe".
  • It compared shared space's zealots' claims against the evidence, and found that the evidence did not support the claims. That's academic fighting talk.

tggzzz

I've cycled through the Gloucester one. Little different from a regular road, but hate it as a pedestrian. Confidence giving they aren't. Can't imagine how bad it would be for a partially sighted or deaf pedestrian. I just imagine they just avoid it completely.
Blind people have repeatedly tried to use the Poynton scheme and found it "horrendous" and "impossible". Sighted share space apologists deny the validity of those opinions.

tggzzz

Whilst Poynton isn't too bad to cycle through, I actually think the shared space idea is of little benefit to the cyclist. ... Also the kerbs that aren't kerbs are a bit of a nightmare on a bike as they will have you off particularly in the wet.
I concur with your assessment of the kerbs.

When I visited most cyclists used the "pavement" - which my daughter notes usually means they are afraid of the road. One cyclist used the centre of the narrow carriageway, but the car drivers didn't mind being delayed.

Ern1e

Über Member
Whilst the idea of a shared space sounds good I am none to sure it could work here ! we have a few mini roundabouts which not a lot of drivers have a clue how to use,the give way to the right rule well I guess they should tell them which right lol.Then again thinking about the lack of white lines no bad thought on at least one of them which they removed the nice safe traffic lights away and stuck the mini r/about in to speed up traffic flow at the peak flow times ( rush hour if you could call ours that) since then several accidents due to not not knowing who should do what.I don't particularly want to see segregated cycle lanes etc but Sustrans are at some point opening up an old rail line through the valley which would mean that it may attract more people to commute down the valley in a safer environment, only thing is they have not as yet put a date on this !

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've cycled and walked through a few home zones and as a pedestrian I don't like them unless there are areas which give the pedestrians protection. Especially at junctions if they are quite narrow, so that there isn't the space for both a pedestrian and a vehicle, and then some drivers try to force their way through. I take delight in walking in the middle of the road until there is a suitable place to pass but I see many people scuttling to stand on planted borders to get out of their way.

Top Bottom