Shared Space in Ashford

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
This is the piece I was thinking of earlier;

http://www.howwedrive.com/2008/10/21/getting-it-wrong-in-montogomery-county/

But then, of course, if someone crashes and kills a pedestrian or another driver, it’s an “accident,” it’s down to driver behavior; if they smash into a tree, it’s deemed poor traffic safety engineering.

And some other trees;

http://www.howwedrive.com/2008/12/05/spare-the-tree-cut-down-the-litigation/

the tree, which had lasted virtually the entire history of automobile-dom, was viewed as a traffic hazard. Being generally of the mind that traffic is the hazard, I always view these claims with suspicion. This was a street marked for 25 mph. Assuming you were driving the proper speed and paying attention, how do you a.) strike something as large and obvious as a tree and b.) roll over your vehicle?

http://www.howwedrive.com/2008/08/17/natural-traffic-calming/

There’s absolutely no reason residential streets, like the one pictured above, shouldn’t have trees in the middle of the road. Apart from the aesthetic contribution, they’re great natural traffic calming devices. Yes, you have to slow down to navigate around them, yes they reduce the “sight distance” of whatever lays beyond (hence you have to slow down), and yes they are a crash “hazard” — if you act in a hazardous way.

DaveP

Steve Austin said:
I walked across this shared space twice today.

Hate to pop all the woeful balloons that folk are blowing up, but it was fine. cars gave way to me both times.
How about folk look for the positive in this development rather than the negative? Its a really good idea, that give everyone space to share. Its a bloody good idea, and its working!

Steve,

I "share" this space on a daily basis, and to be honest (as a driver) I find it a complete nightmare to negotiate when the traffic builds up aka London commuters all come home (and at weekends).

The “old” system, whilst being a little chaotic at times seems in comparison to have far fewer delays than now.

For me, the general concept of a “shared space” in the context of Ashford was not so much to evolve a lofty ideal, but to remove items such as the pedestrian access via the subway thereby allowing more public spaces to be viewed by CCTV.

Cynical maybe, but one cannot ignore this aspect of our daily lives.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think that's *exactly* what it's supposed to be about - making it more liveable and usable for those not in cars, slowing the cars down, and an overall increase in safety.

DaveP

BentMikey said:
I think that's *exactly* what it's supposed to be about - making it more liveable and usable for those not in cars, slowing the cars down, and an overall increase in safety.

BM,

Don’t get me wrong on this, I am all for making a place more "livable", but in the case of Ashford, what used to be somewhere that was fairly accessible both by car and pedestrian (subways etc) means, has now turned into somewhere where drivers tend to avoid if they can, while this may appeal to some fraternities, it leaves a very real problem for those who survive on footfall through their doors to spend money especially as the outlet centre is so close. Modern planning is a conundrum, but I honestly think that applying a "standard model" to a town like Ashford, or any other town for that matter, is wrong, standard models start with a broad set of assumptions, assumptions that may not apply to a town like Ashford which has a long history as a market town.

I would rather have the "old" system back, and people using the town centre for it's "traditional" use, as opposed to the mess we have now...

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Dave. there has always been a problem in Ashford in that the town centre is surrounded by a four lane wide dual carriageway. So the only way to cross this racetrack was to, stand and wait for the traffic lights, which are all geared for the cars, so you could stnad and wait for several minutes for a gap in the traffic. This is still the case, use the crossing at the bottom of the memorial gardens if you don't believe me.
I think the point of this shared space is to make it more people friendly. that is friendly to all users. If you think car drivers will have to drive a bit slower, I don't really have much empathy for that view, as the current shared space has given me and many others the right to walk across a road without waiting for all the cars to trundle past.

snorri

Legendary Member
DaveP said:
I would rather have the "old" system back, and people using the town centre for it's "traditional" use, as opposed to the mess we have now...

Yes,me too, happy memories:smile:. When most people walked to the town centre did their shopping and walked home, barely a car in sight, easy and safe to cross the road where and when you felt like it.

DaveP

Steve Austin said:
Dave. there has always been a problem in Ashford in that the town centre is surrounded by a four lane wide dual carriageway. This is still the case, use the crossing at the bottom of the memorial gardens if you don't believe me.
I think the point of this shared space is to make it more people friendly. that is friendly to all users.

Steve,

I think that you have hit the nail on the head here in that Ashford has, and to some respects always will have problems with access.

I honestly think that the hotchpotch of “cunning plans” (the “Bedouin tent” then the expansion of the shopping centre) combined with Ashford being touted as a “strategic” point in the development of Eurostar, then being dropped, then “holding on” to the services ends in a mess not only in real terms, but also for the entire “perception” of what Ashford “is” or is “trying” to be.

I seem to have wondered off the topic a bit here but my general point about shared space is great, all for it, but what “model” works in a town is some far flung part of Europe, or is the current “vogue” or panacea of town planners today is not an “instant fix”.

While shared space tends to rely upon the differentiation between the fine meshed slow network and the larger meshed fast network in the case of Ashford the concept seems to have been applied with fingers crossed and hope rather than all of the boxes being ticked prior to the implementation of the concept.

Ashford is starting to be a nightmare as layer upon layer of “bright ideas” are applied.

My fingers ache now……

Origamist

Legendary Member

Willo

I live in Ashford so use the shared space a fair bit, and in principle am supportive of the concept. However, I'm not quite sure it's had the major impact that people claim or intended. In that regard, I relate to much of davep's post above.

My observations are that folk still cross at the lights by the new shopping centre or the zebra crossings. The advantage is that the traffic is that bit slower so people can walk across easier between cars but I seldom see significant numbers of pedestrians in that area of town (maybe it will be when further development takes place that the full benefits will kick in).

Overall, taking the whole of the new 2-way ring road scheme, I'm not overly impressed that life is better as a pedestrian (the new lights take an absolute age to allow people to cross the road). As a cyclist I live equidistant in terms of which way I go around the town and prefer to brave it and cycle the 'normal' section of the ring road rather than endure the bumps and vibrations of the shared space's paving, which I think is a shame and an opportunity missed. A friend of my wife who is blind has also said that the input of visually impaired representations has been ignored. So whilst a positive step in terms of intentions, I'm not convinced it has been properly thought through and implemented.

Maybe it would need to be extended all the way round to have more impact, but in any case crossing the road is generally easy when the traffic is gnarled up most of the time anyway:biggrin:.

It looks okay, the concept is sound, but picking 'off the shelf' concepts and dropping them in without properly considering the particular context of a location means the benefits intended are not realised. I hope in the long term that this is not the case with Ashford and I really want to be convinced. However, I am not sure that we've got the return on the investment yet.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Supermarket Car Park Experiment - see how motons behave around you when -
1. When pushing a loaded trolley across their path
2. When not pushing a loaded trolley across their path
See the difference ?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
sheddy said:
Supermarket Car Park Experiment - see how motons behave around you when -
1. When pushing a loaded trolley across their path
2. When not pushing a loaded trolley across their path
See the difference ?
YES absolutely. I'm so pleased you wrote that. Sometimes I ride the Brompton through the Waitrose car park and think 'this is the most dangerous thing I've done all week.

Top Bottom