Shared use pathways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyPeace

Dno if I should feel guilty or not. Whilst on my way to work, having just crawled past a organised run, with 150+ joggers, I steadily carried on my way to work. At the next bend in the pathway I took the outside of the path, as no-one can see you coming on the inside due to hedges. The section of path is frequently used by young families as it leads to an adventure playground and other facilities, so I am always careful. After ringing my bell and carrying on the turn a cyclist came bombing down head on to me. Instead of slowing down he took the corner but had to go wide of the path onto a grass verge. As I turned around to shout a warning about the runners ahead of him (at the next bend) I saw he was picking himself up off the ground. Perphaps the transition from tarmac to wet grass had not quite worked for him.

I appreciate people like to go fast and cycling distance requires you to keep a good speed...but sense and reason says read your enviroment, a shared path frequented by young families, dog walkers, joggers and me is not really the place to be testing your speed and as this mornings events show, pushing speed does not always get you places quickly.

I like to ride fast too, but I reserve this for roads and appropriate cycle routes were I have clear line of sight. Am I just old?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
nah....it makes common sense; shared path, limited vision = slow the f@@k down. His fault, not yours. Speed = roads/dedicated cycle lanes. Shared path = slow down and give way to pedestrians

BSRU

A Human Being
There is no excuse for going fast on a shared path, unless it is straight with very good visibility and no-one else is using it.
On the small section of shared path I use I often see people riding inappropriately too fast.

Although never formally adopted, the DfT produced a Code of Conduct for cyclists

This stated that at 18 mph you should be on the road

I think this is too fast, but the concept is correct. Other organisations such as Sustrans have advised 10 and 12 mph

GrasB

Veteran
I appreciate people like to go fast and cycling distance requires you to keep a good speed...but sense and reason says read your enviroment, a shared path frequented by young families, dog walkers, joggers and me is not really the place to be testing your speed and as this mornings events show, pushing speed does not always get you places quickly.

I like to ride fast too, but I reserve this for roads and appropriate cycle routes were I have clear line of sight. Am I just old?
There's a reason I don't use cycle paths - I've yet to find one anywhere in the UK that allows me to travel at my normal speeds safely.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Shared paths are as much for cycling fast on as motorbility scooters are for bunny hops.

If someone apologises when stepping out of my way on a shared path I always cheerfully reply 'thank you - no need to apologise though'.
I agree, a shared path is just that and we cyclists should be considerate of the more vulnerable users. I quite enjoy bimbling along on them taking the time to be polite and courteous, hopefully dispelling peoples prejudices about lairy cyclists.
So what if you have to slow down a bit or god forbid even stop to let people through or avoid a dog. If we are to have any credibility when demanding our rights on the roads then our behaviour on shared pathes has to be impeccable.

Drago

Legendary Member
If I finish work after dark I do about 1/8 mile on a shared path to avoid a very nasty dual carriageway roundabout. The path goes under said roundabout and the approach angle to the subway is acute do you can't see what's coming, yet idiots belt through it like they've got a burning turd stuck up the jacksy.

I think this was originally just a footpath but was re- designated in the interests of being seen to make the town appear forward thinking and green. In reality it's half arsed and using it safely requires extreme caution.

Nice idea, but if they can't do it properly id rather they didn't do it at all.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Same rule as for the road, IMO. Limit your maximum speed so that the distance you can see is never less than the distance you need to stop.
Even at that - bearing in mind that what you might need to stop for could be coming towards you
Other guys fault.

sidevalve

Über Member
If you fall off through your own silly fault and no ne else is involved then it's down to you. Maybe he'll realise he's not on a track now and slow down. You're not getting old, you just realize that other people, peds, dog walkers kids [and yes even motorists] have rights too. That's just being a good cyclist IMHO.

Crankarm

Guru
nelson_muntz_ha_ha.gif

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIrhVo1WA78

Top Bottom