Sharon Laws: terminal cancer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
From Cycling Weekly:

Former British road and time trial champion, Sharon Laws has announced she is suffering from cancer. Laws, who retired form professional cycling in August, has been diagnosed with cancer of the cervix and has described her illness as “treatable but not curable.”

After riding the Prudential RideLondon GP for her Podium Ambition team in July, Laws decided to have some lumps in her neck examined and it was then the cancer was discovered.

“I assumed these were just due to a series of colds I seemed to have had continually during the season,” the 42-year old-explained in a statement. “I was shocked to be told they contained secondary cancer tumours.”

Since then she has undergone extensive tests to locate the primary tumour and last week began a course of chemotherapy.

“Obviously I am trying to come to terms with what is happening,” the statement continued. “Up until starting the chemotherapy I could still ride my bike and, apart from recovering from the operations I had recently, felt normal.”

Proto

Legendary Member
That's horrible news. Very sorry to hear.

Linky no worky

I read that earlier. It's pretty tragic news, not much to add to it really. Expressions of sympathy don't really go far enough in such circumstances.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
It's pretty tragic news, not much to add to it really. Expressions of sympathy don't really go far enough in such circumstances.
Couldn't have put it better myself, very sad to hear this type of news.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Terrible. Two neighbours this year have been given the same prognosis. But both are older. I hope she can live a rich and full life in the time she has left.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
FM - I think she has achieved more in 42 years than most people would dream of in twice that long. Best thoughts go out to her and her loved ones.

oldroadman

Veteran
"Treatable but not curable". Not sure what this means, it's sounds like life limiting which is horrible for a relatively young woman. All anyone can do is offer their best wishes, hope that she is helped by what is an unpleasant treatment, and lives many, many years yet.

Buddfox

Veteran
Sad news - the cancer proved terminal. RIP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/42377545

Ajax Bay

Guru
Very sad indeed. A fine competitor/champion and a beacon for those women (and men) not coming the regular cycling development pathways.

U

User32269

RIP. A great life, cut tragically short, but what great achievements.

Top Bottom