Sharps bedroom furniture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowwww

Veteran
Mrs Slowwww has booked a visitation from the above people tomorrow.

I've been promising to make some wardrobes for months/years and just have not got the time due to work pressures and she's run out of patience. To be fair it's unlikely that I'll get round to this within the next year or two and so I can't blame her!

I understand that they operate on the basis of coming out, quoting an outlandish price, and then rapidly discounting until you get to a point at less than half the original amount quoted. A bit of a ridiculous operating model, but I enjoy a bit of a haggle and so can live with that.

What I know nothing about is their quality. Does anybody have any experience of their service, both in terms of whether they deliver what they say they will when they say they will, and whether their product is of reasonable quality and lasts well?

Thanks

Globalti

Legendary Member
I would steer well clear of anybody who operates in that way. You might as well ask sharks like Safestyle to do your windows. We had new banisters and a fitted cupboard built by a proper carpenter, the quality is first class and we gave work to a craftsman so we are completely happy.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If Mrs Slowww insists, wait for the quote then make a cheeky counter-offer. If they agree you won't feel so bad when you see the shoddy carcasses.

OP
OP
S

slowwww

Veteran
I would steer well clear of anybody who operates in that way. You might as well ask sharks like Safestyle to do your windows. We had new banisters and a fitted cupboard built by a proper carpenter, the quality is first class and we gave work to a craftsman so we are completely happy.
Yes, that was exactly my inclination, and to look for quality items, but Mrs S's preference is for all the ridiculous finishing 'bells and whistles' that Sharps provide.

Sometimes the easy life and the ability to think 'I told you so' (wouldn't dream of saying it, but she'd be well aware that I'm thinking it!) is worth it!

OP
OP
S

slowwww

Veteran
Get free standing ones. If you move, they go with you.
Excellent point, but having spent a fortune on Stamp Duty, legals, agent fees etc. in moving 4 times in 15 years, I've told my dearly beloved that I'm going nowhere for 20 years, and so leaving behind fixed furniture would be the least of my concerns if she tried to suggest otherwise!

tom73

Guru
One other idea to save all the lI just need to phone x” and all that crap. Do what my mates dad did when they wanted new windows. Before they start anything just say what ever the 1st price is that’s what I will take is your best price. So it better be good one. That way they have to do all the deals and crap in one go and give you the price also your free to say no thanks they can’t then come back with another offer you’ve already given the chance to deal before they even start.

Levo-Lon

Guru
As above

Bear in mind also that this sales person will want a sale.

They don't like leaving without one.
The quote will be shocking but they will have a deal on This month!!
And of course they can ring their manager for a special price just for you.

Good luck, do bear in mind you have a legal cooling off period so don't be put under pressure to pay ..

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh and there will be that special price if you introduce some neighbours....

Salar

A fish out of water
We had Sharps come around a few years ago to price for fitting some wardrobes where one part of the ceiling is sloping. They show something exactly the same in their catalogue.

The person came out, took one look and said we don't do that type of thing. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, the person they sent didn't have a clue.

We got a local company to do the job.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Here are the very smart mdf cupboards that a local carpenter made us for the yoof's room. I painted them and fitted the handles. I think he charged us a few hundred quid.
20180907_130705.jpg

Top Bottom