Shattered left leg.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
Hello everyone it’s been an awfully long time since I posted on here. Good to see it’s still going.
Anyway I had a ladder shoot out from under me whilst decorating a flat roof some 12’ up a few weeks ago.
I was at the top of it and despite my attempting to land like a cat I ain‘t no kitten so I shattered my left leg from ankle to knee.
I’ve had four reconstructive surgeries to rebuild it and I now face months of physio and rehab before I can (if ever) bear weight enough to walk upon it again.
My questions are will I ever be able to cycle with such a gammy leg again for instance what exercises would I need to do before getting on?
Am I at heightened risk of falling off and what further damage would that be likely to do?
I’m probably not going to be able to climb ladders to decorate houses ever again but would I be able to get my leg over a crossbar?
What extra precautions/ equipment would I need to take in order to cycle again with regards to clothing and equipment to prevent further injury?
Is it best never to try to cycle again in rain, slipperiness or other inclement conditions becoming only ever a fair weather cyclist?
What about touring or off road biking yay or nay?

Slick

Guru
I think everything will more than likely be an option for you if you are determined enough.

That said, surgeon will keep you right on what to do and what not to do.

Great thing about cycling is how inclusive it is, so a step through ebike could be your future if you have concerns.

Good luck with the rehabilitation, my only advice would be to be patient and listen to the docs. :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
trike , step through or recumbant could be an option if you have issues getting you leg over ( snigger ) and are concerned about potential falls .
You might have to install crank shortener to one side assuming your legs will not be the same length

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
What sort of reconstruction have they done? I have two pins in the top of my left tibia. I was prevented from weight bearing for three months while it healed but was back on the bike a couple of months after that. I have pain in the leg but I can do all the things I used to be able to do in terms of flexibility & weight bearing.

Sallar55

Veteran
Have broken both legs, bolted together with Ti. Takes a while to regain confidence once back on the bike. Last break was when I was 62, thought cycling was over but I was wrong. Physio,don't give up and try to do all the exercises and a little bit more if you can. One exercise I just couldn't do and one day it worked , the brain or the muscles must have decided to switch on.

Mrs M

Guru
Hello everyone it’s been an awfully long time since I posted on here. Good to see it’s still going.
Anyway I had a ladder shoot out from under me whilst decorating a flat roof some 12’ up a few weeks ago.
I was at the top of it and despite my attempting to land like a cat I ain‘t no kitten so I shattered my left leg from ankle to knee.
I’ve had four reconstructive surgeries to rebuild it and I now face months of physio and rehab before I can (if ever) bear weight enough to walk upon it again.
My questions are will I ever be able to cycle with such a gammy leg again for instance what exercises would I need to do before getting on?
Am I at heightened risk of falling off and what further damage would that be likely to do?
I’m probably not going to be able to climb ladders to decorate houses ever again but would I be able to get my leg over a crossbar?
What extra precautions/ equipment would I need to take in order to cycle again with regards to clothing and equipment to prevent further injury?
Is it best never to try to cycle again in rain, slipperiness or other inclement conditions becoming only ever a fair weather cyclist?
What about touring or off road biking yay or nay?
Welcome back.
Sorry to hear about your accident.
If you trust your surgeon and physio I’d take their guidance and go from there.
You will know how much you can do, I’d doubt you’re at no further risk of falling off than any of us.
Would start slowly and build up your distance and confidence, hopefully fun too.
Good luck snd best wishes xx

postman

Legendary Member
I wonder when exercises begin ask if they have a static bike you will be under supervision at least.Then when confident your own turbo on your lawn then a little ride in your street.All the best from here.

I have stainless steel replacing bone marrow in 3 of the 4 major leg bones. Cars are very heavy and I spent 6 weeks in hospital and 6 months in plaster after 1 drove over me. Since then, I have completed 7 x PBP, despite some nerve damage and slightly restricted ranges of motion in some joints.

Do the right things and don’t skimp on physio and you have a good chance of coming back to worthwhile riding.

Don’t rule out a recumbent trike if you end up with major issues. They are stable and fun, particularly if you pick a faster model and work on your recumbent fitness.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I split my spine in two, 8 years ago, fortunately not the spinal column, but the vertebrae around it. I was very very lucky. Back riding gingerly 4 months later, MTB'ing properly 12 months. It will heal.

ianbarton

Veteran
Ouch! I have broken a few bones in my time including my left calcaneum (heel), fractured vertebrae and recently had a knee operation. You can lose the strength in your quads quite quickly. If possible try to exercise your quad as often as you can. If you can't weight bear lie flat on your back and tense your quads as often as possible. If you can manage it do 10 tensioning of the muscle hourly. Repeat as often as you can manage.

If you can lift your leg hold it straight a few inches off the bed for intervals of about 10 seconds this will tension your quads. Just make sure you run this past your doctor before you start doing these exercises.

OP
OP
BluesDave

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
Well as far as I can gather there are two steel rods pinned to the two shin leg bones and I’m not sure how much of those have been removed. I get the names the wrong way round. Also there are metal plates either side of the knee and at least two hinges in it possibly three. To be honest I’m afraid to ask.
What sort of reconstruction have they done? I have two pins in the top of my left tibia. I was prevented from weight bearing for three months while it healed but was back on the bike a couple of months after that. I have pain in the leg but I can do all the things I used to be able to do in terms of flexibility & weight bearing.

Top Bottom