Shed roof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I am designing a shed with a standard apex roof. In itself it is dead easy but I am having problems with the roof measurements. I am making the shed 10' x 6', and I want a rise in the centre of the roof of 1 foot. The roof will be made in two halves. So taking one half I will have a right angle with a base of three feet, a height of one foot, but what will the angled bit be. I remember the square on the hypotenuse being equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides but for the life of me I cannot apply it to give me a meaningful solution. I need the measurements to price up the wood for the frame (length x price per metre I can manage!!).

This is on cycling topic as it will have bikes in it when finished and built so can someone please put me out of my misery. Thanks.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
18.43 degrees, doesn't take into account the size of timber but it's near enough.

Edit: oh I thought you just wanted the angle but you've got the answer now below, the angle is still 18.43 though.

bikepete

Guru
3.162 feet.

Square root of (one squared plus three squared) i.e. sqrt(1+9) i.e. sqrt (10) = 3.162.

But I'd use mm personally :-)

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Thanks all. My figures came out at about 3'2", but that just didn't seem enough to give me the rise I wanted which is why I doubted my maths. Obviously it does.

Don't forget that the roof will need an overhang off the edge of the shed walls to it will be bigger then then that.
Call it 11'6" x 4' and allow the rain to drip off well away from the shed base.

Night Train, I hadn't allowed for an overhang. At the moment I was looking at the framing, but will certainly have to take that into account with the cladding. Thanks for the reminder.

Night Train

Maker of Things
The horror!:eek: No gutters...??????
Depends on the shed, where it is sited and if they are needed/wanted. Gutters can still go on, and the drips will still be away from the shed.

postman

Legendary Member
, and the drips will still be away from the shed.[/quote]
Make sure you have some serious locks on or the local drips will hang around.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Posh Shed..
Some people take rainwater harvesting extremely seriously...:thanks:
tdg--hemingway-water-butt-2009-de.jpg

Top Bottom