Shed Shackle - any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
I'll be moving house, and buying a new shed, and taking delivery of a Spesh Roubaix Expert in the coming weeks.

The bike cannot be stored in the house, and I'm not too keen to spend 400 quid on a separate bike storage facility, so I've been looking at ways of securing the bike inside the shed.

I came across this, and it looks to be a good option - maybe combine it with a floor shackle too?:

http://www.torc-anchors.com/shed-shackle.php

Anyone got one? Are they as solid as they look?

Cheers,
Shaun

Arch

Married to Night Train
Don't have one, but I seem to remember people on c+ speaking highly of them, and the customer service of the company that makes them... (some one was missing a bolt from his and a chap delivered it by hand or something...)

bonj2

surely a ground anchor would be better, as that's only going to be as strong as the walls of the shed, which if it's made of wood, aren't very strong.

robgul

Legendary Member
One of the C+ members that moved to acf is the manufacturer. I have seen one of the things in their shed and it looked the part, secure and strong - and well designed, by a cyclist with some pretty smart bikes to look after.

Rob

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Admin said:
I'll be moving house, and buying a new shed, and taking delivery of a Spesh Roubaix Expert in the coming weeks.

The bike cannot be stored in the house, and I'm not too keen to spend 400 quid on a separate bike storage facility, so I've been looking at ways of securing the bike inside the shed.

I came across this, and it looks to be a good option - maybe combine it with a floor shackle too?:

http://www.torc-anchors.com/shed-shackle.php

Anyone got one? Are they as solid as they look?

Cheers,
Shaun

it can in mine, i even had two at once in here this morning! shwmbo has told me to put one away in the shed tonight though :biggrin:

Bokonon

Über Member
As bonj says, a ground anchor would be a good bet, especially if the shed hasn't yet been erected - dig a hole under where the shed will be, drop in a heavy duty chain (preferably with some kind of anchor attached to the end, such as a metal rod) and concrete in the hole. Bring the chain up through a hole in the floor of the shed when it is being built, lock anything of value to it.

Jonathan M

Problem with a ground anchor is that it can be hard to secure a bike to, and in my case I've done exactly what Bokon suggests, embeding in concrete a long shckle d lock with the intentions of securing bikes to it.

But one bike, yes, two at a push, nut now the shed has 2 road bikes, 2 MTBs a tag along,kids bike and garden tools, I can't get to the shackle.

I'm looking at this device and wondering about using it someway within my metal shed, as a long length of chain could secure all of the bikes, and having them locked to something is better than nothing, especally as I'm wondering that if I used such a device without it being trully secured, a theif couldn't get the locked bikes & the shed anchor out of the door of the shed.

In the long run I need abigger shed, but like the security of a metal shed. When I do get a new shed, I'll have a good think about security as I put it up.

Don't forget, it's only going to be as good as the lock you use it with. Spend £100 on a serious chain and padlock. Check out motorbike locks too.

Yes, it's bolted to a wooden shed, but if someone is prepared to make all the noise that ripping your shed apart entails then they would probably be equipped with a gas axe and heavy duty power tools, in which case no security measure would be adequate.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Ah, well, I shall be taking with me my current anti-theft device ... an old straight-four cast iron engine block!!!

Having worked in a vehicle recycling yard for the past 21 years there was no shortage of heavy things to bring home to chain the bike to, and a really thick motorbike chain currently secures my Sirrus to said engine block!

I'll be looking to combine the current setup with the Shed Shackle to hopefully thwart any attempts at getting away with the new stead!

I'll also be upgrading the insurance policy too though!!!! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
On reflection, isn't it a shame that we have to go to so much time, effort, and expense to secure our property?

asterix

Comrade Member
That's true. When I moved to East Anglia very last century ago, we never bothered to lock our car let alone carry a lock around for the bike. Unfortunately the light-fingered scum are now highly mobile.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Admin said:
On reflection, isn't it a shame that we have to go to so much time, effort, and expense to secure our property?

asterix said:
That's true. When I moved to East Anglia very last century ago, we never bothered to lock our car let alone carry a lock around for the bike. Unfortunately the light-fingered scum are now highly mobile.
That's only because the thieving scum have human rights.

Top Bottom