Shed Shackle - recommended?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Will be better than not using one surely! Wooden sheds are difficult to secure things to. I lock several bikes together so that as a bunch they are too big to fit out the door, so a low life crim would have to break the locks before escaping with the bikes.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Ideal would be an anchor buried in the ground beneath the shed with a good chain passing through a hole in the floor to attach things to.

However if you don't want to dismantle the shed to install one, the shed-shackle seems a good option. It basically means that anyone pinching your bike has to make a lot of noise smashing the shed to bits (if they can't break the bike lock).

skwerl

a low tech idea for you.
get a big bucket or similar.
stick some form of metal anchor in there and fill with cement
stand in shed and lock bikes to it

OP
OP
T

Tonky

skwerl said:
a low tech idea for you.
get a big bucket or similar.
stick some form of metal anchor in there and fill with cement
stand in shed and lock bikes to it
An interesting idea which i'll investigate further - Thanks!
If that doesn't work out then looks like the shed shackle is my only other option

Just be aware that the "sold secure" scheme that they reference is under investigation by trading standards. The tools that they use to set their Gold, Bronze and so on attack resistance standards are nothing like what actual thieves use.

byegad

Legendary Member
I fitted a ground anchor when I purpose built a shed for my QNT. Rawlbolted with three 6" expander bolts to the concrete floor and then ball bearings belted into the allen key heads of the bolts and a serious U Shackle around the cruciform frame of the trike, the shed is too narrow (it fits the trike exactly) to allow disassembling the trike and sliding it out of the U lock, plus the U lock is a good un' and jacking it would ruin the cruciform. My one worry, what do I do if I lose the key?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
byegad said:
My one worry, what do I do if I lose the key?

Well, given that the shed is securely attached and fits the trike exactly, I'd say drop a couple of gears and treat it as a wind and weatherproof shiplap fairing.

Oh, and you might want to consider putting a perspex catflap in the door, to ease visibility.

Top Bottom