Sheffield, ASLs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Feel like I ought to be complaining to someone. Theres a whole new large road layout in Sheffield. For those who know the area it’s the West Bar/ Shalesmoor/Mowbray Street/Wicker area I’m on about. The works are potentially very good. The cycle lanes are there (if you want to use them) and lots of ASLs.

The problem is, they’re opening it up gradually and in MOST places the ASLs are getting completely ignored. I looked over a junction today at the 2 lanes in the opposite direction, both had vehicles completely covering the advance box. A cement wagon and WVM.

Anyone got any idea which ‘body’ is most likely to show an enforcing presence down there, if a complaint is made?

Cab

gambatte said:
Anyone got any idea which ‘body’ is most likely to show an enforcing presence down there, if a complaint is made?[/FONT][/SIZE]

Presumably would have to be the Police. Can't imagine they'll do much though :blush:

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Cab said:
Presumably would have to be the Police. Can't imagine they'll do much though :blush:

Just figuring as the road layouts all new, might be an idea to ‘educate’ people to it early. I was thinking the police might be the correct people.

It might get a response as I think there’s a cop shop at either end of the project (West Bar & Attercliffe)

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Cab said:
Presumably would have to be the Police. Can't imagine they'll do much though ;)

Just figuring as the road layouts all new, might be an idea to ‘educate’ people to it early. I was thinking the police might be the correct people.

It might get a response as I think there’s a cop shop at either end of the project (West Bar & Attercliffe)

domtyler

Über Member
Tip: Don't waste your time. The police are not interested in cyclists. They hate us just the same as everyone else.

domtyler

Über Member
Tip: Don't waste your time. The police are not interested in cyclists. They hate us just the same as everyone else.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
domtyler said:

But they do have cycling coppers on that stretch.....

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
domtyler said:

But they do have cycling coppers on that stretch.....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most of the ASL's on my commute are occupied by cars, so I end up in front of those and technically RLJ'd but not in advance of the junction. No-one is interested and the ASL's are a sort of safety measure but just ignored. Nice idea but................

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most of the ASL's on my commute are occupied by cars, so I end up in front of those and technically RLJ'd but not in advance of the junction. No-one is interested and the ASL's are a sort of safety measure but just ignored. Nice idea but................

Arch

Married to Night Train
Are there not ASLs in any other part of the city? If there are, then either they're all getting ignored to the same extent, or the drivers blocking these new ones happen to be ignorant of the meaning, or routinely ignore them anyway.

I suspect the way to test it would be to have a copper stand on the corner and see whether people are more law abiding. If it is ignorance, a couple of explanatory signs would help, but they'd have to be well designed to explain the concept quickly and clearly enough to ignorant people.

Do you have cycle cops there? They might think it worthwhile to have a bit of an awareness blitz on the area... Ah, you've just answered that last question...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Are there not ASLs in any other part of the city? If there are, then either they're all getting ignored to the same extent, or the drivers blocking these new ones happen to be ignorant of the meaning, or routinely ignore them anyway.

I suspect the way to test it would be to have a copper stand on the corner and see whether people are more law abiding. If it is ignorance, a couple of explanatory signs would help, but they'd have to be well designed to explain the concept quickly and clearly enough to ignorant people.

Do you have cycle cops there? They might think it worthwhile to have a bit of an awareness blitz on the area... Ah, you've just answered that last question...

Maz

Guru
Is it worth worrying about? I must admit, I sometimes inadvertently drive into ASLs when I'm following behind another car. The car in front makes the turn, but then the lights change to red and I'm stranded in the box with another car right behind me.

Maz

Guru
Is it worth worrying about? I must admit, I sometimes inadvertently drive into ASLs when I'm following behind another car. The car in front makes the turn, but then the lights change to red and I'm stranded in the box with another car right behind me.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Maz said:
That's perfectly acceptable as you were in the box before the lights changed... it's when these idiots slow for the red lights but just not enough to stop before the box - pure laziness. ;)