Sheffield, ASLs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Maz said:
Is it worth worrying about? I must admit, I sometimes inadvertently drive into ASLs when I'm following behind another car. The car in front makes the turn, but then the lights change to red and I'm stranded in the box with another car right behind me.
That's perfectly acceptable as you were in the box before the lights changed... it's when these idiots slow for the red lights but just not enough to stop before the box - pure laziness. :blush:

Tynan

Veteran
isn't that what the amber light is all about? to allow you to judge whetehr you have time to complete the manoeuvre?

I suspect that the ASL should be treated like crossings and so on

Tynan

Veteran
isn't that what the amber light is all about? to allow you to judge whetehr you have time to complete the manoeuvre?

I suspect that the ASL should be treated like crossings and so on

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Sh4rkyBloke said:
That's perfectly acceptable as you were in the box before the lights changed... it's when these idiots slow for the red lights but just not enough to stop before the box - pure laziness. ;)
Often its that they ignore the first stop line and just treat the 2nd line as the stop line ... thats the one that annoys me :biggrin:.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Sh4rkyBloke said:
That's perfectly acceptable as you were in the box before the lights changed... it's when these idiots slow for the red lights but just not enough to stop before the box - pure laziness. :blush:
Often its that they ignore the first stop line and just treat the 2nd line as the stop line ... thats the one that annoys me :tongue:.

bonj2

I agree about education, most drivers think that it's beneath them to learn anything.

as regards the road layout it can't be any worse than when i tried cycling the attercliffe to mowbray street bit a couple o' weeks ago, it was a complete free for all. it wasnt' clear (to me, anyway) which bits were open at all...
gonna make life a hell of a lot easier when they open corporation st up properly.

bonj2

I agree about education, most drivers think that it's beneath them to learn anything.

as regards the road layout it can't be any worse than when i tried cycling the attercliffe to mowbray street bit a couple o' weeks ago, it was a complete free for all. it wasnt' clear (to me, anyway) which bits were open at all...
gonna make life a hell of a lot easier when they open corporation st up properly.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The best way to educate motorist about such things, is to enforce the law and hand out a few fixed penalty notices. Once a few drivers get 3 points on their licenses they might start thinking about it, just like they do with speeding;)

Basically ASLs are a nice idea in theory, but of far less practical value in reality...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The best way to educate motorist about such things, is to enforce the law and hand out a few fixed penalty notices. Once a few drivers get 3 points on their licenses they might start thinking about it, just like they do with speeding;)

Basically ASLs are a nice idea in theory, but of far less practical value in reality...

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:

Mowbray street to Attercliffe is a lot easier, now its opened. However the advance box, leaving Mowbray Street may as well not exist.

I went to the SY Police website and found the email address list. Kept trying to send a mail with 'please forward to relevant person', but it kept getting bounced back with:

"User sheffield_commandteam (sheffield_commandteam@southyorks.pnn.police.uk) not listed in Domino Directory"

Reckon I may try snail mail.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:

Mowbray street to Attercliffe is a lot easier, now its opened. However the advance box, leaving Mowbray Street may as well not exist.

I went to the SY Police website and found the email address list. Kept trying to send a mail with 'please forward to relevant person', but it kept getting bounced back with:

"User sheffield_commandteam (sheffield_commandteam@southyorks.pnn.police.uk) not listed in Domino Directory"

Reckon I may try snail mail.

I can forgive cars that might not know the road layout and accidentally are left in the ASL when the lights change to red. What annoys me however is the black cabs that just roll into the ASL regardless. I'm in the ASL for a reason I'm more visble to other motorist until at wide ASL (two lane) they coast in a few minutes later beside me blocking me from view. Maybe its just me but they appear to run more red lights deliberately.

Had one this morning ghosts into an ASL waited a few moments, either decided he waited to long or got call; rolled through the red light and done a U'Turn. Needless to say another taxi rolled in to the space in the ASL.

I can forgive cars that might not know the road layout and accidentally are left in the ASL when the lights change to red. What annoys me however is the black cabs that just roll into the ASL regardless. I'm in the ASL for a reason I'm more visble to other motorist until at wide ASL (two lane) they coast in a few minutes later beside me blocking me from view. Maybe its just me but they appear to run more red lights deliberately.

Had one this morning ghosts into an ASL waited a few moments, either decided he waited to long or got call; rolled through the red light and done a U'Turn. Needless to say another taxi rolled in to the space in the ASL.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hairy Jock said:

Yeah, well that might educate that one driver and maybe a couple of his mates he complains to down the pub, but it would be more effective to educate via the media (newpaper ads, TV info films) and then follow it up with a hard line, confident that everyone had had a chance to learn. ASLs (and cycle lanes) are a fairly recent invention (ASLs - within last 10 years or so?) and I suspect that many drivers on the road last looked at the Highway Code when they passed their test, 20, 30, 40 years ago...

Of course, we'd all say they should be regularly revising the Code, and most of us do, because we need to check in order to take the high ground (;)), but how many people do you think actually do?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hairy Jock said:

Yeah, well that might educate that one driver and maybe a couple of his mates he complains to down the pub, but it would be more effective to educate via the media (newpaper ads, TV info films) and then follow it up with a hard line, confident that everyone had had a chance to learn. ASLs (and cycle lanes) are a fairly recent invention (ASLs - within last 10 years or so?) and I suspect that many drivers on the road last looked at the Highway Code when they passed their test, 20, 30, 40 years ago...

Of course, we'd all say they should be regularly revising the Code, and most of us do, because we need to check in order to take the high ground (;)), but how many people do you think actually do?