Sheffield Parkway A630/A57

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Had a go yesterday trying to find a decent cycle route into Sheffield from Maltby. Since you can't legally cycle down the Parkway I tried looking for an alternative.

It's a 12 mile drive M18 M1 Parkway.

It appears the Cycle Route 67 only starts at Handsworth Asda, there's no cycle path from Asda to the A630 at Canklow, the only route appears to be through Brinsworth, Catcliffe and Handsworth which is a bit long winded.

The cycle path itself remided me of the scene from Deliverence when they're kyaking down the river with the scary locals watching them. The path also appears to be popular with fly tippers from the Manor estate.

After pootling around for 35 miles I decided that cycling into Sheffield is not an option from Maltby, so won't be appllying for any jobs in Sheff.

Oh go on...live dangerously!

Fit some greentyres (a necessity) and some body armour, protection from broken glass and missiles.

Actually, ride a white MTB and hi-vis top (one of the "POLITE" tops is ideal) and watch Dazza and Jordan leg it! Or chuck a petrol bomb at you. Depends on how much White Lightning they've had

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
How about heading cross country to Whiston, Treeton, Catcliffe and round the airport then through Attercliffe. Otherwise a route may be Brampton, Ulley, Aughton, Woodhouse, round the bottom of Handsworth and head for City Road

Most of the time I'd find back road riding preferable to off road cycle paths anyway.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It is a problem. It's basically caused by there being 1 crossing for a 3 mile stretch of railway except the A57 and the M1 for cyclists, 2 crossings of the M1 again in a 3 mile stretch and you guessed it 1 crossing in 2 miles of the A57 plus sheffield's traditionally spindly road network. So cyclists are shafted basically.

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Rode back through Treeton Ulley etc... to Thurcroft and into Maltby, quiet run but wouldn't like to ride it at night as there's no street lighting out in the Styx.

I currently work at Meadowhall, which is a peice of p*ss, all main roads with streetlighting.

How about Meadowhell to Sheffield then? That's not too bad...obviously it's not as straight a route but if you are happy Maltby > Meadowhell then it's do-able and pretty flat

marinyork

How about Meadowhell to Sheffield then? That's not too bad...obviously it's not as straight a route but if you are happy Maltby > Meadowhell then it's do-able and pretty flat

Don't think much of the first few hundred yards of the A6178 going into town from Meadowhall as everyone piles off the motorway. One of the most unpleasant roads to cycle on in Sheffield (and there aren't many). Brightside Lane is a doddle. I'd heard that one of the bits of the NCN has unfortunately been closed again.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Coming from Maltby going round the south side of Tinsley (through Brinsworth) and either Shepcote Lane or the road past the retail park to Don Valley shouldn't be that much more of a dogleg. I wouldn't fancy the Tinsley roundabouts on a bike too much though.

As for riding in the dark it can be quite fun once you're used to it. Decent lights make a big difference. Last winter I rapidly upgraded through Halfords "Extra Bright" blinky through another light to a Smart Lunar 35, many on here would recommend a Hope Vision 1. For me to get to work (or just about anywhere else in deepest, darkest Cumbria) I have to ride unlit roads.

marinyork

Coming from Maltby going round the south side of Tinsley (through Brinsworth) and either Shepcote Lane or the road past the retail park to Don Valley shouldn't be that much more of a dogleg. I wouldn't fancy the Tinsley roundabouts on a bike too much though.

It's horrendous at rush hour going into town just those first few hundred yards as everyone piles off the motorway. Ironically the Tinsley roundabouts on a bike aren't as unpleasant, but not particularly recommended. Sheptcote Lane I think is all right which is why I used it in preference. There's a sneak under the roundabout onto Shepcote Lane but I've never actually done it.

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I'll have another trip out this week for a mooch around.

The Lower Don Valley is nice and flat so will have a run it that way.

I currently start work at 7am so don't really see how bad the traffic gets.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It's horrendous at rush hour going into town just those first few hundred yards as everyone piles off the motorway.

I figured that at rush hour that road is usually stationary which should have made it a bit safer, but I haven't tried it on a bike and I realise that's a busy road. (I tended to avoid Meadowhell on a bike as I'd have to climb back up Kimberworth hill after)

marinyork

I'll have another trip out this week for a mooch around.

The Lower Don Valley is nice and flat so will have a run it that way.

I currently start work at 7am so don't really see how bad the traffic gets.

What is it you're looking for? TBH I never use the cycle path and use POW, Shepcote Lane, Brightside Road etc. They aren't that bad but well I know just what you mean too. I find the cycle past Orgreave a bit annoying too. I don't think the golf course is too bad but I don't use it myself.

Once you come off the Europa Link there's a cycle path at the end of Tinsley Park Road. You can hop on the NCN after that if you want although apparently they've closed another section close to town again.

markg0vbr

Über Member
What is it you're looking for? TBH I never use the cycle path and use POW, Shepcote Lane, Brightside Road etc. They aren't that bad but well I know just what you mean too. I find the cycle past Orgreave a bit annoying too. I don't think the golf course is too bad but I don't use it myself.

Once you come off the Europa Link there's a cycle path at the end of Tinsley Park Road. You can hop on the NCN after that if you want although apparently they've closed another section close to town again.

i always go via wentworth, chapel town, sheffield road, on the trike. not that good for you.
and don't get me started on the so called rotherham / sheffield cycle Link, i have had a word with the "cycling promotional" people on the second floor, i think the word was "pathetic" they recommend that you ride along the main road past magna and under the tinsly viaduct then the cycle path along the donvally road which amounts to ride on the pavement! i have seen the shared pavement sings but to me that is just a cop out, like most thing in rotherham a tick the box exercise.

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Basically my job at Meadowhall is crap (£6.82 p/h for a university graduate) so I want to apply for jobs in Sheffield where the better money is. There's no regular direct bus service to Sheff from Maltby and I figure I can probably ride it faster than being bounced around on a Powells bus for 90 minutes.

Commuting by car is a joke in Sheff, the road planners must be on acid or something. Car parking is virtually non-existant and expensive.

Used to park at Cricket Inn and catch the tram, but that still means driving down the M1 and Parkway in rush hour.

So was just weighing up a cycle commute, otherwise it's a house move.

Top Bottom