Sheffield to Bristol route advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddles

Hello all,

I'm planning on a 2 day ride from Sheffield to Bristol, with a day's rest in between in Birmingham. After a super, duper quick look at Google Maps, Sustrans route map and canal maps, I have pieced together the following route. If you have experience with a section of the route I'm planning, advice would be greatly grateful. Re-routing is fine with me. I'd like a scenic ride, but don't want to ride too far and over too many hills - aiming for a healthy balance, I guess. I'll be riding a hybrid with road tyres inflated to max and no suspension so don't want to go off road and on gravel too much. I could get more grippy tyres if I have to.

Section 1: Sheffield to Derby - Sustrans route 67
Section 2: Derby to Birmingham - Sustrans route 54 & 5
Section 3: Birmingham to Worcester - A38
Section 4: Worcester to Gloucester - River Severn towpath
Section 5: Gloucester to Bristol - Sustrans route 41.

How does this sound so far?

Thanks very much for your advice in advance!

Regards - Piers

jimboalee

From Lichfield to Brum.
Shenstone ( Tesco express on the RHS of main road ), Mere Green, Sutton Coldfield, ( Plenty of shops at the Yenton ), Erdington ( don't stop anywhere after the Yenton, and DON'T take the canal towpath ), Spaghetti Junction, Aston and then into Brum.
This route will save you miles.

Out of Brum, the advisable route is along the Rea Valley Cycle Route. Join it opposite Edgbaston Cricket Ground in Cannon Hill Park.
Just before Longbridge Station, the route diverts NW to go AROUND the Lickey hills. It is quicker to go OVER the Lickeys, even if you walk up the last 200m. The freewheel down to Catshill is a welcome rest, and you will be tempted to overtake any car that is observing the speed limit.

The A38 from Bromsgrove to Worcester is a quite affair, because the traffic takes the M5.
In Bromsgrove, go to the Regency Tea Rooms, 40 High St.
Go through Droitwich by turning left at Chateau Impney.

There is a road-side Farm Shop shortly after Droitwich.

Then it's plain sailing all the way down to Worcester.

OP
OP
E

Eddles

I've got mates in Birmingham that I want to see on the way to Bristol.

I'll give the Manchester idea serious consideration along with jimboalee's suggestions. Thanks for all your advice!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have ridden the canalpath from Gloucester to Sharpness.Its good for hard tyres from Gloucester to Slimbridge but between Slimbridge and Sharpness is more suited to wider softer tyres. Saying that I rode it on Racelight hardcases at 100lb but next time would get back on the road at slimbridge.

jimboalee

BrumJim said:
What are your plans for the day off in Birmingham? Not your usual tourist cyclist stop-off!!

Hop on the 900 and go to the Coventry Transport Museum.

Go to Spon End and see John Kemp Starley's house in Gloucester St.

Stop off at Meriden and pay respects at the Cyclist's Memorial.

Stop off at Golden Hillock Road in Small Heath. Walk to Armoury Road where BSA invented the Bottom Bracket.

Carry on to Kings Road where Alfred Reynolds patented the butting process for bicycle tubing.

Alternatively, get on a train from New Street to Bournville and go to Cadbury World. :tongue:

Top Bottom