Sheffield to Leeds commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AdamBlade

Does anyone regularly commute from Sheffield to Leeds via train but take their bike with them? It is looking likely that my next job will be in Leeds and this is one option I am considering.

Thanks

RedBike

It's approx' 40miles each way according to the AA. Therefore it is possible to ride all the way there and back. (Although, you wouldn't want to do it every day.)

OP
OP
AdamBlade

AdamBlade

In some respects, you're both right. I do mean a bicycle and not a motorbike, and I don't want to do it everyday!!

As you can probably guess, I did mean taking the bike on the train. I have been looking at the National Rail website and it looks as though restrictions apply on the rush-hour trains. Looks like i'm going to have to call down at the station and see what the policy is.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Northern Rail have restrictions, I think they are more theoretical than solid but I still think they'd get arsey. I'd say cycling to Leeds and back occasionally as a commute is doable if you live on the north of the city. If you're not it's a bit of a pain.

The other option is a cheap eBay bike at both ends you'll get a cheap MTB for £10 to 20 quid the only problem then is getting the bike to the other end in the first place!

GFamily

Über Member
AdamBlade said:
Does anyone regularly commute from Sheffield to Leeds via train but take their bike with them? It is looking likely that my next job will be in Leeds and this is one option I am considering.

Thanks

Folding bikes work well as part of a train-bike-train commute. If your new employer has a cycle to work scheme, you may find that the purchase of a good folder such as a Brompton falls into the 'almost affordable' category.

Folded bikes are generally carried without restrictions.

If you're working as a contractor through an umbrella company, you may find that they operate a c2w scheme. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that mine did!

OP
OP
AdamBlade

AdamBlade

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have thought about getting a cheap bike from ebay and this is probably the best option. If all goes well then a folding bike might be an option.

RedBike

Moodyman said:
Redbike - I think you're confusing 'bike' with motorbike. I think Adam means bicycle.

Lol.
Before I got my ankle fractured I would often take 'the long' way home from work, to give me anything from a 2-4hr ride.
And although admitidly VERY infrequently, when I could get my lazy backside out of bed early enough I would take a 2-3hr ride into work as well.

The trouble with such a long commute was there was no time for anything else. As soon as you got home it felt like it was time for bed. Not to mention the fact I was knackered most of the time.

The O/P would presumably have to go via Huddesfield so it's going to be hilly. Therefore ~40miles will take about 3hrs at a good pace. This is possible every now and then; but certainly not something you'd want to do on a daily basis.

My experiance of bikes on trains is limited. I would think trying to squeeze a normal bike onto a packed train would be an absolute nightmare. Apparently full sized bikes often aren't allowed on trains during the rush hour anyway.

If it was me I would go down the folding bike route. Cheap bikes are sadly cheap for a reason and I wouldn't recommend leaving anything of any value at a station overnight.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
RedBike said:
The O/P would presumably have to go via Huddesfield so it's going to be hilly. Therefore ~40miles will take about 3hrs at a good pace. This is possible every now and then; but certainly not something you'd want to do on a daily basis.

Seems unnecessary work. There's the A61 or a few route variants to the east. Not especially hard just some less than desirable areas to be cycling through.

Top Bottom