Sheldon Brown Or Park Tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
Which of the above is the best on the subject of bicycle maintenance ? my guess and I am only guessing it is SB

Why try and create a type of competition when there's no rivalry to be had? Sheldon died 10 years ago and his website then stagnated. I don't consider the few half-hearted attempts to add new things to it as worthwhile. Nevertheless, it stands as a great monument to the wisdom of many people, Sheldon, Jobst and other luminaries from the 1980s and 1990s. It is a great resource for obscure information about components now probably out of date.Yes, it does document some techniques but in essence, it is a reference tool.
The ParkTool books and website for that matter is a living resource dealing with current trends and techniques. It is obviously heavy on the side of working with ParkTool tools and is a completely different animal. This is a how-to manual without getting into much specifics. You won't find tricks there to help you overhaul a Campanolo Ergo lever or how to weld a stuck BB cup to a piece of scrap iron bar for ultimate grip and torque.
Horses for courses.

Mobytek

you buy EVERYTHING in your life from one shop?
you only use ONE mode of tranpsort to get EVERYWHERE (well by bike obviously)?
you eat only one food item from one shop at EVERY meal time?
you only listen to the ONE friend for all questions you have in lif and decisions to make?

so why try and find a single source for cycle information?

If anything I;d move away from either and head to the service pages of the brand - Shimano, camapg ya de ya. those pages that epople dont know exist, but that mechanics rely on. you don;t actually think we know everything about everything all of the time do you?

http://si.shimano.com/# ......

Mobytek

So look at shimano, consult Sheldon and do some research.

Either that or - speak to you LBS for advise, or just give it to them to sort for you.

gbb

Legendary Member
Is OP even remotely suggesting there is conflicting advice. ?...did i miss something ?
For me, SB is interesting, its style (Imho) is of an enthusiast wirh years of accumulated knowledge and skill. As YS says, its perhaps dated, but its written well, you enjoy reading it (I do anyway)
Parktools would be the exact opposite,, factual, almost corporate. ?.but very useful and up to date. I dont enjoy reading it, its just a reference, a tool.
Best ? Both are, depends on what you want.

Top Bottom