Shelf life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simontm

Veteran
So Specialized says that I need new chains set as it is worn. Considering the mechanic estimated almost correctly that I cycle around 150 miles a week, how long is the shelf life of a chain set? Seems ridiculous that I will need to put a new one on every 6th months

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How often to you check and change your chain?

OP
OP
Simontm

Simontm

Veteran
I have been remiss on that regard about chain. Clean and oil every week but haven't a chain checker. The bike's 5 months old and was hoping to keep it to one service before Ride London but looks unlikely now stupid me!!

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
900 miles is not much mileage for a chain, let alone a chainring.

Sorry - 5 times that is a lot of mileage for a chain. Not too surprised your chai rings are gone, too.

OP
OP
Simontm

Simontm

Veteran
900 miles is not much mileage for a chain, let alone a chainring.

Sorry - 5 times that is a lot of mileage for a chain. Not too surprised your chai rings are gone, too.
Yeah. Absolute idiot. It's like my back brake pads. I was thinking 'hang on it's only been 2 months since the last change but then you think "oh, 1,200 miles".

Like I said "idiot me"!

But what should I expect mileage-wise if I remember about the chain?

Drago

Legendary Member
900 miles is low even for a fat, lardy heifer like me. I think the worst I've ever managed on an 8 speed was around 1300 miles to .75 wear. However, 4500 miles is pretty good going.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I believe he means chainset, in which case the "Mechanic" is almost certainly talking bollocks. How many times have you read here and on other forums where bike shops routinely condemn chainsets when there is nothing wrong with them? The only times I have ever replaced rings is to alter the gearing and I've had some running for ten years or more.

OP
OP
Simontm

Simontm

Veteran
Thanks guys. I can understand the chain - as I said, bit remiss in that one! - but am surprised at the supposed shelf life of a Shimano set, if true. That means I will have to replace every 4 months or so. An extra £80 - £120 a year was not in my plans!

Top Bottom