Shhh...don't tell anyone but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...I tried it...
I've always ridden with a helmet...and, since I got knocked off the bike and lost the skin on both palms of my hands, gloves as well (btw I am not advocating helmet use and trying push my ideas on others...I firmly believe it's personal opinion).
My thoughts have always been that gloves keep my hands safe, helmet might make a difference if I come off (I've read too many stories which include the line 'I'm so glad I was wearing a helmet, it saved my life'...again this is just my own opinion and everyone else is free to have their own ideas)
Last night though I had to deliver something for my wife...it was just round the corner and so I thought 'Bugger it.' Off I set without any of the kit...no helmet, no gloves...not even the padded shorts (which I usually wear religiously)...it was amazing!
I felt like I was a kid again...the feel of the handlebars, the wind blowing through my hair (what's left of it!), no tight fitting clothing...I ended up delivering the item and then taking the very long way back home.
Got home feeling elated...then got b*llocked by the wife for not wearing my helmet and had to promise that I'd always wear it again...
I will...most of the time :-)

Born2die

I'm not married but if I set off with no lid there is no end to my 8yo girls fury. Along the lines of you make me wear one what could happen to you how dare you etc.

Not so long ago when I couldn't get up. Local hill I used to push the bike when I got stuck helmet off push bike get to the top slow pedal with no lid on I went past a 10 yo oi mate whys your helmet not on you shouldn't be riding without one on his mum was mortified. :cursing:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Why the Shhhhhhhhhhhhh..............?

You can tell who you like that you didn't wear one. As an adult it's your personal choice and ultimate responsibility.

IMO the whole helmet/no helmet debacle is loaded on the side of the wearers......

Why?

Because a non-wearer will never preach to a wearer not to wear one.

One the other hand........

I have ridden thousands of incident-free, care-free and liberating miles without the 'pudding bowl' - that's what we non-wearers call them - so if you hear people snickering in the local cycle cafe, that's why. Oh, and we also whistle 'Bob the Builder' theme tune for people in hi-viz........

Born2die

image.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

Why the Shhhhhhhhhhhhh..............?

You can tell who you like that you didn't wear one. As an adult it's your personal choice and ultimate responsibility.

IMO the whole helmet/no helmet debacle is loaded on the side of the wearers......

Why?

Because a non-wearer will never preach to a wearer not to wear one.

One the other hand........

I have ridden thousands of incident-free, care-free and liberating miles without the 'pudding bowl' - that's what we non-wearers call them - so if you hear people snickering in the local cycle cafe, that's why. Oh, and we also whistle 'Bob the Builder' theme tune for people in hi-viz........

I've been a cyclist for almost 40 years and have never worn a lid, I don't think they were about when I started as a 5-6 year old in the 50's, I also do most of my mileage in normal clothes, the cycle gear comes out for the Sunday rides only, I commute in my work clothes and always have done, I'm using clips and straps on the fixed I commute on and have straightened and rebent the clips to take steel toe capped boots.

Whiskey88

The only times I've ever ridden with a helmet were when I was living in New Zealand. Not because of any safety aspect, but just because it's compulsory there and I could never have afforded the fine!

mrskatmus

I love to ride without one, but I am majorly paranoid whenever the hubs goes out without a helmet so I feel a bit hypocritical to not wear mine. Even if I do look like, to quote my three year old nephew, "a helmet".

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I spent a week or so buzzing around Vancouver last month on a hire bike without wearing a helmet - good of them to tell me it was illegal to do so as I brought the bike back at the end!

Here, I wear one for the commute, but not for weekend/ liesure rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom