Shift work and eating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ste T.

Guru
Remeber the guy a few years back ,towing another car on a trailer on the motorway who drifted off, went down a railway embankment and onto the main line? He'd had something like three hours sleep as well. He was on the phone to the emergency services when the train hit his car and derailed killing several people. He got a prison sentence ( can't remember how long ) I can't remember his name now, but if you Google "bald haggard looking man whose life is over" I'm sure you'll find him.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
That would be Gary Hart

I cant eat breakfast till i get to work.i have tried it and sometimer it makes me sick before an early morning commute.My shift times between days can vary by a few hours.I do earlies and lates but haven't done nights in over ten years.

sleekitcollie

sheva said:
Am I reading this right mate? you`re an HGV driver telling a load of cyclists you take a 38 ton vehicle on the road with a maximum of three hours sleep?
Actually it's a 44 ton vehicle . And what I never put in my post was that I also get 5hrs kip in the bunk whilst at work .

Ste T.

Guru
Good God ! I thought drinking and driving was bad enough, but sleeping and driving, That's going too far.

TheDoctor said:
HGV driver doing 15 hour shifts on 3 hours sleep? Continuously for the last 15 years?
It gets better each time I read it!!!!

How many car drivers are there like that on my 4am commutes?...I must admit I have had some very dodgy incidents with these...one being just a few weeks ago.

I do 12 hour night shift every 8 days

I will have tea at 5 before cycling in at ½ 6
I have a snack around midnight which lasts me till my banana at about 7 before I cycle home at ½ 7. Breakfast is a bowl of high fibre stuff at about ½ 9 before I go “deep” to sleep the night shift off.

I am pretty good at not snacking at my desk and eating lunch at lunch time during the day shifts.
Plenty of fruit is the key; I’ve lost a stone and half over the last 3-4 months!!

sleekitcollie

Ste T. said:
Good God ! I thought drinking and driving was bad enough, but sleeping and driving, That's going too far.
Dont dare compare my sleep pattern to drink driving . You know nothing about me my lifestile and how much sleep I need or don't need .
Everyone needs different amounts of sleep . Do u think for 1 min I'd drive a 44ton truck and endanger other road users if I was tired . And the fact I've been doing this particular shift for 9 years ( not 15 as another post stated ) I have known well b4 now if my body needed more sleep .
Just to let u know more about my shift so u don't jump to any more asumptions that I'm driving up the road with my eyes shutting weaving about the road like a drunk driver , I do work a 15 hr shift but only actually drive for 6 hrs I get at least 5 hours sleep per night and the rest of the time I'm relaxing ( not driving , not loading ) so prob getting as much sleep as any other driver .
I only mentioned my hours of work / sleep etc to highlight my eatin habbits

Top Bottom