Shifting gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Winston

This may seem a silly question, but is there a technique to shifting gear on your bike. Do you continue to pedal or do you coast when changing gear?

Thank you again in advance.

Winston

OP
OP
Winston

Winston

Winston said:
This may seem a silly question, but is there a technique to shifting gear on your bike. Do you continue to pedal or do you coast when changing gear?

Thank you again in advance.

Winston

Just found something that answers my question, I think.

http://www.intownbicycles.com/how-t...=how-to-effectively-shift-your-bicycles-gears

May be of use to some of the newbies.

Winston

Garz

Squat Member
I just pedal lightly taking some force off compared to a normal rotation if possible.

montage

God Almighty
try and avoid when honking out the saddle....but even then it should be ok - depending on the quality of your gears

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Optimum change time is when your legs are doing 200rpm, you know this by counting, untill you are used to it.

(please dont listen to me)

OP
OP
Winston

Winston

jimboalee said:
On a Sturmey Archer hub, you have to back pedal about a quarter of a rev to let the mechanism change smoothly.

I saw that on another website which me think about shifting gears. I have been looking loads of bike websites/forums in the last few weeks.

Obviously none as good as this one.:evil:

I am Spartacus

Über Member
montage said:
try and avoid when honking out the saddle....but even then it should be ok - depending on the quality of your gears

I agree on the quality of groupset... but changing up or down whilst out of saddle with sti shifters is something to actually do well but in 'sympathy' with the bike mechanics.
It gives an edge in competitive situations.. and that means even when you giving it the 'beans' on the local bank back from the factory/jobcentre/office.....blah blah

jimboalee

Shimano shifters ( the ones I've used ) can shift the chain up three sprockets at a full push of the lever.

I have only ever used this feature once. Up a short steep hill and just about to stand up. I pushed the lever its full travel while relaxing my pedalling ( but keeping the cranks rotating ) with my bum lifting off the saddle.

It was OK. The change of gear ratio complimented the speed I lost.

I was lucky. I did it just at the right moment.

Won't be trusting my luck again. I will change down BEFORE the nasty little canal bridge.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
.. just as an aside.. I am more wary of chucking it into the smaller ring on the front, if I have done a miscalculation on a ramp... but sometimes needs must and yes normally it is best to have sat down whilst making a gear change.
I was thinking more on the lines of shifting up just as the top of the incline is reached so as to keep more drive and accelerate hard thru and over the top - changes on the rear of course.

Top Bottom