Shifting Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JiMBR

This problem has just materialised...

I can't shift from the middle ring up to the big ring...the chain stays in limbo and 'grinds'

Since I can shift from the granny ring to the middle ring, I'm guessing that the front mech may need adjusting.

(The mech is pretty clean, so I don't think it's gunk causing the problem, and the cable is tight).

Should I familiarise myself with the limit adjustments on the front mech...any advice is greatly appreciated, as I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to bicycle mechanics.

Unlikely that limiters go out of adjustment just like that so first give the cable a pull by hand close to the mech while turning the pedals, if it changes up to the big ring then its cable tension not limiters. Other possibility then is a worn or frayed inner or after winter, oxidization causing the inner not to move freely. Just get someone to lift the back wheel of the floor while you do this.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
The Bicycle Tutor is your friend ...

... as is Sheldon Brown.

rusty's advice above is a good place to start.

If the cable is new(-ish) it could be cable stretch = cable tension.

I'd guess it's probably crud, dirt and all the other winter gunge which has got into the cable guides. Give it all a good clean, lube inside the cable guides and see how it goes.

Good to see that you are needing the big ring
smile.gif
!

Fattman

Other possibility then is a worn or frayed inner or after winter, oxidization causing the inner not to move freely. Just get someone to lift the back wheel of the floor while you do this.

Also check inside your shifter. I have had this happen twice (on a compact, not triple) and in my case it was the cable fraying inside the left-hand SIS shifter (Tiagra, 5yo). It stopped shifting up (annoying) then snapped completely (really annoying!).

teletext45

i had same problem, check the adjustment also when you shift hold this shifter until the change has been made and i found that works

andy

Top Bottom