SHILAJIT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
More energy less anxiety and better sleep.
The thing is some supplements will be decent but I’d bet the majority is all a money making scam.

Vitamin D is the one you really want to be taking in the recommended dose (following a blood test).
Not sure supplements do much for anxiety beyond placebo but discuss with dr

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Isn’t it Thai for Cillit Bang?

Venod

Eh up
Talking of strange concoctions, I tend to loose a lot of sweat on the turbo so I buy some tablets from Home Baargains that are supposed to replace minerals etc and stave of cramp, they seem to work, the last time I bought some I noticed some stuff called Dynamo shots full of caffeine and other stuff to give you a shot of energy, I took one before doing a Zwift Big Spin ride, my FTP increased by 17 watts !

Why do you need marginal gains? Will you even recognise the marginal gains you think you get from unproven supplements? Serious question.

My only benefit from what I've consumed that I've noticed is when I eat and drink enough on longer exercise I keep going better. If I don't eat and drink enough I don't keep going. That's walking on challenge walks 25 miles upwards but mostly 40 or 50 miles. I tend to run out of juice before I get stuff into my system then I suspect my gut stop working quick enough. Basically I have to eat a little and often when doing those activities. If I only ate at checkpoints I'd flag and end up needing a long break at the next checkpoint.

Imho eat and drink regularly on longer exercises or straight after shorter harder exercise sessions less than an hour. Drink regularly and you need nothing more than 50:50 orange juice and water with a pinch of salt. You can actually buy special measuring spoons which you add one spoon for sugar, another for salt to a certain volume of water to get the ideal mix. Not sure what to add to give it a palatable taste though.

You should not need vitamins or extra minerals if you've got a good diet. They're a gimmick unless you've got a medical deficiency. Such as a certain vit B deficiency b12 is it? Your gp would be able to test for that. Symptoms are low energy type of thing. Easy to rule out. As are most other deficiencies that can lower performance and energy.

My old gp from when I was a young kid gave my mum some remedies for sickness and diarrhea in kids. Basically coca cola, no other brand and diet wasn't a thing in the UK back then. Let it go flat before drinking. Full of sugar that gives energy and rehydrates. I later learnt that you're better off watering it by half strength before drinking too.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Why do you need marginal gains? Will you even recognise the marginal gains you think you get from unproven supplements? Serious question.

My only benefit from what I've consumed that I've noticed is when I eat and drink enough on longer exercise I keep going better. If I don't eat and drink enough I don't keep going. That's walking on challenge walks 25 miles upwards but mostly 40 or 50 miles. I tend to run out of juice before I get stuff into my system then I suspect my gut stop working quick enough. Basically I have to eat a little and often when doing those activities. If I only ate at checkpoints I'd flag and end up needing a long break at the next checkpoint.

Imho eat and drink regularly on longer exercises or straight after shorter harder exercise sessions less than an hour. Drink regularly and you need nothing more than 50:50 orange juice and water with a pinch of salt. You can actually buy special measuring spoons which you add one spoon for sugar, another for salt to a certain volume of water to get the ideal mix. Not sure what to add to give it a palatable taste though.

You should not need vitamins or extra minerals if you've got a good diet. They're a gimmick unless you've got a medical deficiency. Such as a certain vit B deficiency b12 is it? Your gp would be able to test for that. Symptoms are low energy type of thing. Easy to rule out. As are most other deficiencies that can lower performance and energy.

I know what you’re saying I always fuel like a demon. I’m not just talking about working out. Just general day to day body & brain performance. Also longevity. Probably just listened to too much Huberman lab and Modern wisdom podcasts. They are just shills.

Listen to your body. Hungry then eat. Tired then rest or sleep. Naps are a good thing too. If you're overweight balance intake to output better. If you can't read your body and there's something not right then GP it.

BTW it is amazing what you can detect without external help. I know people who can give you the time without using clocks or watches. People who never put on weight but simply know what food to eat for what their body needs. It's like instinctively eating more when exercising hard, less on lazy days, more on cold days, etc. I myself learnt when I can and can't eat food. For example I need to be awake a couple of hours before I can eat breakfast. I often skip breakfast and have early lunch. It's the way my body works.

My big thing is avoiding ultra processed energy or sports drinks. Also relying on supplements. I do get migraines due to, among other triggers, irregular or missing meals, except breakfast that is, so food intake is watched closely.

BTW artificial and even non sugar sweeteners like stelvia is a trigger. These are often in sports drinks and energy drinks plus hydration tabs too in some cases. A lot of "health" or some sports drinks go low sugar by aspartame. Imho avoid not good for you.

I go on I know but my advice is no short cut except good diet and healthy lifestyle supplements aren't really part of that unless health condition is detected.

A well known recipe for runners.

I got it before running was a bit thing in the UK. I the 70s!

Dadam

My old gp from when I was a young kid gave my mum some remedies for sickness and diarrhea in kids. Basically coca cola, no other brand and diet wasn't a thing in the UK back then. Let it go flat before drinking. Full of sugar that gives energy and rehydrates. I later learnt that you're better off watering it by half strength before drinking too.

That's interesting, when I got back from the 100km ride on Saturday I was craving coca cola. We had other fizzy pop in the house and I drink it sometimes but I'm not a big consumer of it. However at that time I wanted coke and nothing else would do so I walked to the local shop for a big bottle.

That's interesting, when I got back from the 100km ride on Saturday I was craving coca cola. We had other fizzy pop in the house and I drink it sometimes but I'm not a big consumer of it. However at that time I wanted coke and nothing else would do so I walked to the local shop for a big bottle.

Full everything cola of the coca variety is a known remedy to the ills you can get from kayaking at the national whitewater Centre at Holme Pierrepont. I've heard kayaker from the Chester club talk about drinking it after paddling the weir in Chester (fish steps iirc not the main one). Other brands do not work!

So the UK wasn't into running before the 1970's?

Bannister, Chattaway, Brasher, Ibbotson, Pirie, Peters?

Are these a Prog rock band?

Not in the same mass participation it's got now. No park runs or running groups in the same numbers. Obviously it happened and as a nation we've often followed top flight athletics, Olympics etc for much longer. The difference is volume that I was meaning. Afterall London marathon only dates from 1981. Nearly 7000 took part but 48000 finished last london marathon. Big increase that isn't it!

Top Bottom