Shimano 10 Speed Chainset - 9 Speed Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Cletus Van Damme, 10 Aug 2012.

1. Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme Previously known as Cheesney Hawks

I was just curious if a Shimano 10 speed 105 triple chainset would be compatible with the Shimano 9 speed stuff on my Secteur. I was just thinking of possibly changing my Shimano FC-R453 triple chainset that I am guessing is pretty heavy as is the BB-ES25 bottom bracket that I have fitted. I know that this is not going to make it any faster (I am not a great cyclist anyway) but I like changing things. If they do not work it is fine I will just leave it as I have no intention of paying out for a new groupset as the Tiagra stuff works great. Thanks for any help.

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

I don't see why not (assuming your Tiagra STI is a triple).... people often run 3rd party/alternative chainsets with Shimano groupsets, since Shimano refuse to acknowledge bb30 (at least they did, do they still refuse to make anything that fits bb30 without a converter?), people often run all Shimano kit with a chainset from SRAM, Vision, FSA etc. I am running a Vision Tri Max Pro chainset (double) with a 105 front mech and DA bar end shifters.

If you were talking about cassette's thats a different story and you would need a new rear mech and 10 spd STI (any of the following: new Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, DA).

Cheesney Hawks likes this.
  3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

It will work fine.

Cheesney Hawks likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme Previously known as Cheesney Hawks

Thanks for the great advice as usual guys very much appreciated :thumbsup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice