Shimano 105 5700 vs 5701?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
What are the differences between the two RD's ? Is the 5701 better than the 5700, apart from looks? Quite tempted by one of these but don't want to buy one if there's not going to be any difference from my 105 5700 RD.

I wasn't even aware that a 5701 RD existed.

TIA

Last edited:

sittingbull

Veteran
I've got the 5701 in short and medium cages and am currently using the medium cage on a triple.

I think the main difference between the 5700 and 5701 is that the 5700 will take a max sprocket of 28T regardless of cage, however the 5701 will take a 30T sprocket (short cage) or a 32T sprocket (medium cage, depending on chainset).

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I've got the 5701 in short and medium cages and am currently using the medium cage on a triple.

I think the main difference between the 5700 and 5701 is that the 5700 will take a max sprocket of 28T regardless of cage, however the 5701 will take a 30T sprocket (short cage) or a 32T sprocket (medium cage, depending on chainset).

I think you're right. I wondered if shifting was superior, even if slightly, compared to 5700. They say it is but that's probably just sales talk. Cannot find ANYTHING online that gives any real information, except what you've said.

Shame they don't do an FD as I'd try one. May just swap out my 105 FD and RD for Ultegra.

Cheers, @sittingbull ;)

sittingbull

Veteran
I've considered moving to (5700) 10 speed but there appears to be a recurring theme in the reviews/comments I've read of increased cable friction (particularly as cables wear) due to the hidden cable routing. If this is the case it may be that the return spring has been strengthened (between 5700 & 5701) to address this but without personal experience I couldn't comment :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've considered moving to (5700) 10 speed but there appears to be a recurring theme in the reviews/comments I've read of increased cable friction (particularly as cables wear) due to the hidden cable routing. If this is the case it may be that the return spring has been strengthened (between 5700 & 5701) to address this but without personal experience I couldn't comment :smile:

never noticed any increased cable friction with the 105 I have on my commute bike which I have been riding for a year.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran

Yes, maybe that's the theory behind the 5701, plus the extra teeth compatibility.

What are you running now? I run 5700 but crossover at the headtube so as to limit nasty bends in the cable routing. As @ianrauk says, I don't notice any extra friction with the under bar tape routing.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
What's wrong with it? Once again, haven't had any problem with my 105 FD and its done over 6200 miles in all weathers over the past year. Still shifts and changes gear nicely.

Just seems a little too clunky for my liking, and it takes quite a throw to shift from the 34 to 50. It just seems a tad off. The rear shifting is quite the opposite, bluddy lovely and crisp.

sittingbull

Veteran
never noticed any increased cable friction with the 105 I have on my commute bike which I have been riding for a year.
That's good to hear, I nearly got some 5700 STI's when Merlin had them reduced but several reviews mentioned they felt a bit "vague" and sometimes suffered from "lag". It was suggested they were best used with PTFE coated stainless slick inners.

From a design perspective it must have caused all sorts of head scratching trying to exit the cables at 90 deg from the traditional washing line approach. I suspect this is why pivot points must have changed and also why the pull ratio on the calipers changed too.

I looked at 5800 STI's too and one review said these were the STI's that the 5700 should have been.

Again I should stress I have not used 5700 or 5800 STI's so can only comment on the experience of others.

What are you running now?
On the main bike I use I'm perfectly happy with 8 speed, it gives the speed required along with the climbing ratios to match my ability (or lack of ;)). From my (limited) experience I've amassed another 2 or 3 group-sets along with a couple of frames with the intention of building them up when time/space permit. I have a soft spot for the Vintage sector and have (thus far) not advanced beyond 9 speed.or 105 through choice rather than any other limitations. My main bike is a mix of components from Sora to 105.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I'd guess it wouldn't be the FD rather then the cable may need readjusting or changing.

New cables, mate. I managed to get it to shift a lot better than when I first got the bike, but it's still not how I'd like it. Maybe it's just a personal thing. Some like it, some don't. It's not for the lack of fettling and endless amount of tweaking the FD.

The shift up is, as I mentioned, quite a tough throw and the downshift is clunky. Trying to find the balance in cable tension to either have a better upshift vs downshift or vice versa is what I've ended up with. Maybe it's the trim function and having to shift through that that I'm not used to when shifting as I was used to older shifters?

Last edited:
OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
That's good to hear, I nearly got some 5700 STI's when Merlin had them reduced but several reviews mentioned they felt a bit "vague" and sometimes suffered from "lag". It was suggested they were best used with PTFE coated stainless slick inners.

From a design perspective it must have caused all sorts of head scratching trying to exit the cables at 90 deg from the traditional washing line approach. I suspect this is why pivot points must have changed and also why the pull ratio on the calipers changed too.

I looked at 5800 STI's too and one review said these were the STI's that the 5700 should have been.

Again I should stress I have not used 5700 or 5800 STI's so can only comment on the experience of others.

On the main bike I use I'm perfectly happy with 8 speed, it gives the speed required along with the climbing ratios to match my ability (or lack of ;)). From my (limited) experience I've amassed another 2 or 3 group-sets along with a couple of frames with the intention of building them up when time/space permit. I have a soft spot for the Vintage sector and have (thus far) not advanced beyond 9 speed.or 105 through choice rather than any other limitations. My main bike is a mix of components from Sora to 105.

Fair play to ya! :smile: If you're happy, that's all that counts. I'd like to try the new 5800 myself, but would probably go for Ultegra next time around. Plus the fact I don't think I'd want, or need, 11 speed. I'm sure there are a million and one for's and against's regarding 5700 vs 5800 vs 6700 vs 6800 but I'd happily settle for Ultegra 6700.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I've got 105 10 speed on my Defy (5700?) and it's always worked fairly well. I had a cable fray up at the shifter after 4000 odd miles for the RD and I've also noticed that it doesn't always shift instantly to the higher gears ie 7th-8th or 8th-9th. Sometimes there's a 1 or 2 second delay. It's very clean and well maintained and no amount if adjustment seems to cure it so I'll have to live with it. That said, it only does it sometimes.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I've got 105 10 speed on my Defy (5700?) and it's always worked fairly well. I had a cable fray up at the shifter after 4000 odd miles for the RD and I've also noticed that it doesn't always shift instantly to the higher gears ie 7th-8th or 8th-9th. Sometimes there's a 1 or 2 second delay. It's very clean and well maintained and no amount if adjustment seems to cure it so I'll have to live with it. That said, it only does it sometimes.

Try tweaking that barrel adjuster a tad, maybe 1/8th-1/4 of a turn.

Top Bottom