Shimano 105 5700 vs 5701?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've got it pretty good and it only does it occasionally so I wondered if it's a design issue maybe?

Nope, it's not adjusted properly.

Here you go, well worth a watch

Just seems a little too clunky for my liking, and it takes quite a throw to shift from the 34 to 50. It just seems a tad off. The rear shifting is quite the opposite, bluddy lovely and crisp.
This is your problem :whistle:, I run a a 5700 triple setup with a 5701 RD and a 5703 FD, with a 12th gap on each front ring 26-38-50 and it shifts a dream, sometimes its as sweet as the rear, its done 3,600 over the Autumn/Winter with no issues bar keeping the crud of everything.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
This is your problem :whistle:, I run a a 5700 triple setup with a 5701 RD and a 5703 FD, with a 12th gap on each front ring 26-38-50 and it shifts a dream, sometimes its as sweet as the rear, its done 3,600 over the Autumn/Winter with no issues bar keeping the crud of everything.

Cheers for your input. That makes sense. I was actually thinking of swapping out the 34t for a 36t to limit such a huge jump. D'ya reckon it would shift better if I did this? Also, how does the 5701 work for you? Is it as good or better than a 5700, if you know of course.

sittingbull

Veteran
So the problem is with a 10 speed chain being less flexible laterally on a Compact chainset? So the shifters/cable and mech are fine?

I was intending to run 8 and 9 speeds on a Compact, can I expect problems?

Cheers for your input. That makes sense. I was actually thinking of swapping out the 34t for a 36t to limit such a huge jump. D'ya reckon it would shift better if I did this? Also, how does the 5701 work for you? Is it as good or better than a 5700, if you know of course.
I have never run an RD5700, previous stuff being Sora.
@sittingbull not really sure about compacts, I just think the idea of a 16th tooth gap is a retrograde step, most people will be on the high end of the cassette on the 34th or the lower end on the 50th (this I am convinced induces excessive wear), I do most of my riding virtual on the 38th, plus I can have a really close grouped cassette, my next is going to be a 12-23, because even on a 38x24 I get round most of my rides, ( I currently have a 12-27) and the 26x23 still gives me a 30" low gear.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I have never run an RD5700, previous stuff being Sora.
@sittingbull not really sure about compacts, I just think the idea of a 16th tooth gap is a retrograde step, most people will be on the high end of the cassette on the 34th or the lower end on the 50th (this I am convinced induces excessive wear), I do most of my riding virtual on the 38th, plus I can have a really close grouped cassette, my next is going to be a 12-23, because even on a 38x24 I get round most of my rides, ( I currently have a 12-27) and the 26x23 still gives me a 30" low gear.

Mornin', @Nigelnaturist :smile:

I'm still trying to find someone who has run 5700 and 5701 for a comparison. I wouldn't have though there was much in it, to be honest, just curious.

I'm also thinking of changing my cassette as I very rarely use the higher end sprockets. Can't remember if I'm running an 11-27 or 11-28 but I very rarely use the 11t...I never spin that fast :smile: I use the middle sprockets a lot more and very rarely drop down to the 34t at the front, unless tackling killer climbs. There are a fair few around here, but never seem to get in trouble....as yet!

@migrantwing morning, my average gear is about 60-61" which on a 34/50 would be either 34x15or 50x21 (or there abouts) on my current cassette as I have said to either end of the cassette on my set up of 26/38/50 its 38x16-17 about as straight a chain line as you can get, however I find i hardly use the 38x27 and the gap between 17-19 to be very noticeable, so thats why I am going to go with a 12-23, the 26th inner gives me plenty of climbing gears if they are needed, 26x23 is 30" I would need a 34x30 for the same gear, I am not afraid to drop on to the 26 ring for steady climbing either as it gives me close gearing options, ok from time to time I might need to change two gears, but the shifter will move two gears at a time (down, up the cassette) just look at the gaps on a 12-30, 12-13-14-15-17-19-1-24-27-30, but many who ride compacts either can't see it or are fooled into thinking compacts are the best.

sittingbull

Veteran
@Nigelnaturist I follow your logic but you're riding a triple (as am I). The reason for the gaps in the cassettes is to bridge the overall range due to a finite number of sprockets. I have a bike with 52/42 rings and a 12-23 cassette and I struggle with hills on it. Until someone develops continuously variable transmission for bikes (if they haven't already) all gearing systems will be a compromise.

@Nigelnaturist I follow your logic but you're riding a triple (as am I). The reason for the gaps in the cassettes is to bridge the overall range due to a finite number of sprockets. I have a bike with 52/42 rings and a 12-23 cassette and I struggle with hills on it. Until someone develops continuously variable transmission for bikes (if they haven't already) all gearing systems will be a compromise.
I know why the gaps are there, but why the move to a compact, they are not that much lighter, my chainset weighs 740grms a compact chainset is a bastardisation of a system thats was working well, and because of marketing or people being told to man up, a perfectly good system is being dropped, To get the same range I can get (will when I change my cassette next week) a 26/38/50 with a 12-23 casettee will give me 30-110" with what is a pretty good double range, on the compact its neither here nor there, seems people really don't understand gearing very much, its different if your racing or are extremely fit, you can get away with a closer grouped cassette but us mere mortals can't and the penalty is a nicely grouped cassette, which if you have never ridden you can't compare. Yesterday I was coming up a slight gradient into a bit of a headwind, neither much in itself, but I found myself spinning to much on the 19 and 17 a little low in the cadence stakes.

Top Bottom