Shimano 105 FD5504 front derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi. I have a Shimano 105 FD5504 front derailleur and it's broken and want to know if there is a budget friendly alternative out there. I'm new to road biking so just testing the water. It attaches to bike on small bracket that's screws to holes on frame. Bike is GIANT SCR 2.0. 9 speed triple. Any help advice much appreciated

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The mounting type you describe is "Braze on" as opposed to "Band on" ;)

Pretty certain the current 105 R7000 item won't fit as I think the chainring spacing is different. It's also worth mentioning that the preceding 105 (5801) also runs a different cable retention / arm geometry, so you'd probably be advised to avoid this too in case it creates and cable routing / length issues. I think your most likey issue would be cable pull ratio, but I'm not sure if these have changed appreciable for Shimano's gearing (they did a while ago for their braking setup).

Tbh I'd expect you to OK with a current Tiagra, Sora or even Claris replacement, but I'll leave this to the more knowledgeable to confirm :smile:

EDIT: Missed the bit about being a triple; so the last two iterations of 105 are out anyway. Tiagra and below if you want a triple!

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
[my] Shimano 105 FD5504 front derailleur [is] broken and want to know if there is a budget friendly alternative out there. . . . attaches to bike on small bracket . . . GIANT SCR 2.0. 9 speed triple.
I recommend a Shimano Sora FD-3503. It's '9 speed' and for a triple chainset. You need the 'brazed-on' version (as opposed to band-on) - important. Braze-ons are more difficult to obtain. Sometimes people use -F for braze-on and -B for band-on.
I bought one of these for £8 off e - bay earlier this year.
Seem to be available for £19:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-FD-3503-9-Speed-Front-Derailleur/dp/B00ITE73H2

Think an FD-3403 would do too (but would cost more). FD-6603 is fine too - I have this fitted (bought used), replacing an FD-5503 (also bought used). Do not buy a Tiagra FD-4403 - they have a deserved reputation for breaking (little knob that the spring seats into breaks off).

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

christrickey1972

Thank you Wafter, Ajax Bay & Gunk. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond.. I'll begin the hunt to track down one of the suggested alternatives, in the meantime.. i've still got enough gears with the rear mech.. so it's not gonna hold me back :bicycle:
:smile:

Top Bottom