Shimano 105 - fitting lower gears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

Norv

Bollocks to shedding out nearly £90, not worth it. I'll just get a 27 sproket on the back. I very rarely do hills as tough and relentless on those on sunday anyway. Plus the fact, I can get up most how I am.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Norv said:
Bollocks to shedding out nearly £90, not worth it. I'll just get a 27 sproket on the back. I very rarely do hills as tough and relentless on those on sunday anyway. Plus the fact, I can get up most how I am.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

There speaks the voice of reason.

robbarker

I think that's the right decision Norv.

For the record, Monst is wrong about compatibility and if you do change, look at the Shimano website which details compatibility between rear mechs and different chainsets. There are certain non-recommended combinations which work, a compact chainset and short cage rear mech being widely used, but I'm like Mickle and don't like to bodge things.

Monst

Apologies robbarker - re compatability.... I'll just scrap my tried and tested bike combinations.

A Shimano equiped Scott with: (at various times)

105 levers and 105 53/39 double with a 105 long cage rear mech with a ultegra 12/27 cassette.

105 levers and 105 double 50/34 compact double with a 105 short cage rear mech with a 105 12/27 cassette.

105 levers with a Ultegra 52/39/30 triple with an Ultegra long cage rear mech with an Ultegra 12/27 cassette.

All with the same feckin unchanged length chain.

Or I could scrap my Campag equiped (at various times)

Centaur 53/39 double with centaur short cage rear mech with custom built 12/29.

Centaur compact 50/36 double with centaur short cage rear mech with same custom 12/39 block .

All with the same feckin length chain.

Once thats done I'll tell my mate to scrap his 52/42/30 Ultegra triple with short cage rear mech and 12/27 cassette.

Manufacturers tell you certain things to make you (or scare you) to buy new things.

Just try to do your own thing, sometimes it works.

Top Bottom