shimano 105 or tiagra?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boogie

right i think iv whittled my choice of bike that id like down to thre one been the merida 903 2011 running tiagra gearset or the 904 on 105 if i could afford it if not i can get a good deal on an ex display 2010 merida 904 or a lapierre my only thing between the 903 and the 904 is the gear set how much better is simano 105 then tiagra

ELL

Über Member
Its not going to be a massively noticeable but if you can afford the better go for it. You will only regret it if you don't and have that niggle of what if.

Philk

According to Shimano data 105 is upgradeable with Ultegar/dura ace components. so this will not limit upgrade / repair options

http://cycle.shimano...charts_2009.pdf

Personally, buy the best you can afford. i went from tiagra to ultegra equipped bikes, the ultegra has significantly better brakes which is a big thing for me, i like to be able to stop.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Isn't Tiagra 9 spd? If so it means the extra sprocket and hence a closer ratio cassette, which isn't an inconsiderable factor IMHO. If you can afford 105, I would go for it!

Edit: not sure about the wording of closer ratio there but certainly having an 10 spd over a 9 makes good sense, if the price difference is smallish.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Tiagra is a good goupset, 105 is that little bit better, you will notice smoother gear changes than tiagra but you pay your money and takes your choice.

OP
OP
B

boogie

the 10 speed would give a closer ratio indeed i think il go for the 105 the realy issue i had was only that i like the colours more on the 2011 model but well it isnt the price i pay but the deal i get and im gona get a better deal on a 2010 bike arnt i

zacklaws

Guru
Its not so much a question of buying what you can afford, its also a question of what can you afford to maintain if your on a tight budget in the long term. I have my winter bike with"Sora" and to replace the parts, its as cheap as chips and well within my budget and can just buy the parts when I need them, but my main road bike is a mixture of 105 and ultegra, and the cost to replace parts, is well out of my budget so whenever I have to replace chain rings and cassettes etc, then I have to make savings elsewhere to afford the parts.

Its one thing buying an expensive bike, but can you afford to maintain it to its original specification.

But in addition, I have just done a very quick search on the price difference between the two group sets and it is very variable, some sites have one dearer than the other and also vice versa, so in reality I feel, in this case it is a case of getting the better quality group set. I know that the latest 105 group set, 2011, is far cheaper by 9% than the previous 105, so that may be why there is so much variation in price, some sites have the new, hence cheaper, and some may still be selling the old.

If you do a search on line for "tiagra vs 105" there is plenty of info

Its one thing buying an expensive bike, but can you afford to maintain it to its original specifications

Spot-on.

If you're going to put in a reasonable number of miles on the bike the cost of consumables needs to be considered up-front.

OP
OP
B

boogie

theres one in my nievaty i didnt think about what sort of millage will i start to change what components

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have done 3500 miles in 12 months on my roadbike with 105 groupset. changed the chain once the rest is original and still running perfectly.I am guessing i will get a few thousand more before needing a new cassette which are £35 My link

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I also prefer and run 105 on my bikes. It is tempting to go higher, Ultegra or Dura Ace. However as others have pointed out. Sticking to 105 means you have a great, hardworking. long lasting group set that doesn't cost the earth when needing replacing.

Philk

P1010057.jpg

Yes but ultegra/ace is yummy

stevevw

Guru
I can recommend a Focus Mares AX1.0 which is Ultegra for less money than the Merida with 105 if you can get the Wiggle 20% off deal.
http://www.cyclechat...us-mares-ax-10/

PS nothing wrong with Tiagra I have been using it for the last 2 years over 10,000 miles. Had to change the L/H Shifter when an internal spring broke and have had 3 chains and 1 cassette. The front rings will need changing soon but very reliable, hard wearing and cheap to look after. 2011 Ultegra is expensive to replace but hopefully if I look after it keep it all clean and oiled will give similar value to the Tiagra

Top Bottom