Shimano 105 pedals.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray316

Über Member
l've just bought some road shoes and have shimano105 pedals already on my bike..
l've seen some cleats on decathlon and they are DELTA COMPATIBLE CLEATS and are Compatibility Used only with Delta cleats.. for cyclists using Delta cleats with a large angular float (9°).
The road shoes say compatibility With pedals by the following brands: Look, Time, Shimano SPD SL.
So will these cleats be alright for my pedals, l know they will fit the shoes...
Also what do it mean by angular float (9°)., l seen some say 4.5 and no float..
l've never used cleats before so some info and advice would be useful....

The look Delta cleats whilst compatible with your shoes are not compatible with your 105 pedal so they are no good to you unless you plan to change your pedals. Float is just the amount of movement the cleat can move despite being clipped in. Generally the more float the better, it lets your foot move away from the clip in a more natural motion and is better for your knees. Some folk however get on better with less or no float.

The float refers to the degree that your foot can move side to side without unclipping.
Personally I prefer the wider float (spd-sl yellow cleats) as with the Red no float I tend to get an issue with my right knee.
If you're a newbie, I would stick with the nine degree for now.

As for comparability with the shimano 105 SPD-sl pedals....no idea but sure a-n-other bid will reply to that

As an addition, if you are using clipess pedals for the first time, make sure the tension (small allen head screw on the rear broad bar of the spd pedal) is set to minimum (turn screw anti-clockwise as far as it'll go then clockwise til it clicks into he first notch)

You can increase the tension to suit once sed to then.

OP
OP
R

ray316

Über Member
The look Delta cleats whilst compatible with your shoes are not compatible with your 105 pedal so they are no good to you unless you plan to change your pedals. Float is just the amount of movement the cleat can move despite being clipped in. Generally the more float the better, it lets your foot move away from the clip in a more natural motion and is better for your knees. Some folk however get on better with less or no float.
Do you or someone on here know what cleats l will need then...l thought compatible meant these cleats would fit any SPD-sl pedal... it does say they are compatible with shimano SPD SL ..........

It's possible that the old Delta cleat might be compatible with SPD-SL - but for a similar price I would just buy some SPD-SL cleats, which you know 100% are going to work with the 105 pedals....

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The CLEATS are LOOK DELTA compatible = the same as LOOK Delta cleats, which go with Look Delta Pedals. Your SHOES (3 bolt holes, I assume?) are compatible with all the makes of pedal you list. You need cleats that are compatible with your pedals - Shimano SPD-SL

Aiden_23

Did you not get cleats when you purchased the pedals? Same as everyone else your shoes will take any cleat,but a cleat needs to be specific to a brand of pedal.

Top Bottom