Shimano 105 Shifter removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaynana

hi guys, i've just entered this forum, first thread was in the intro section, and second is this, kind of awkward really but i really need help!

i have had crash today am (result of a road-rage between 2 cars and the outcome being me, who was innocently cycling on the side.. :sad: - details on that later if anybody has a patient ear..

anyhow, my problem is that my brake lever is bent! i'm not sure if its the drop handle or the brake lever that's bent. i've never removed this before although i consider myself 'mechanically capable'!

can somebody pls help, by telling me how to remove a Shimano 105 brake/shift lever (left). next is to see what's wrong with it and fix it, but first i have to remove it.

the bike's a beautiful Bianchi Impulso 105, 2012 model, just a week old :sad: :sad: so gutted..

cheers

j

martint235

Dog on a bike
This should give all the info you need. On the pre-2012 105 you just pull the rubber hood forward and there's an allen bolt. You'll need to remove all the tape etc too probably.

Are you sure it's bent and not just moved around the bar?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Stand at the front of your bike looking at the hood. Peel back the rubber hood cover on the outboard side and you will see a hex screw that holds the hood onto the bars.

Edit: bah! Scalped by Martin!

PpPete

Legendary Member
fold the rubber hood back, there will be a "slot" in the side of the body - at the bottom of which is a 5mm allen socket head bolt which you want to undo a few turns (not all the way out) - this loosens the clamp on the bars and you work it gently around until you get it to the end of the bars.

Edit X-posted with martin & slomo

OP
OP
jaynana

jaynana

thanks, that was very prompt. i've got that printed out. although it looks very summarised and small. small i can mange by zooming on the screen. i'm just not sure if the instructions are detailed enough for my novice level of knowledge. nothing like trying anyways..

it could be just moved around the bar actually. i'll have a look. time to go pick the bike and ride home.. damn this didn't have to happen!!

OP
OP
jaynana

jaynana

thanks guys, you guys have been great!

see below on how it was before (picture doesn't show it as bad as it was - due to the camera angle), i've managed to get it fixed.

it had just moved. it came back easily when the 5mm hex was loosened..

i didn't see the video before doing it. the screw to loosen was on the top, under the rubber when it was pealed back, not from the front as in the video.

105Shifter.jpg

Top Bottom