Shimano 10spd cassette question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I'm curious to know why Shimano 10 speed cassettes come with a 1mm spacer, and why this needs to be used even with modern 10 speed shimano hubs? Is it something to do with making a 10 speed cassette fit an older 9 speed hub by removing the spacer?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I need a 1mm spacer to fit a Shimano cassette to my 11 speed zipps hubs

02GF74

Über Member
I have replaced both 8 spd and 10 cassettes by 9 speed cassettes - don't recall seeing any additional spacer(s) - which tells me the freehub width is the same for all 3.

oh ... I am referring to mtb cassettes but believe the same applies to roads.

My guess the extra spacer is for 11 speed freehub?

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I have replaced both 8 spd and 10 cassettes by 9 speed cassettes - don't recall seeing any additional spacer(s) - which tells me the freehub width is the same for all 3.

oh ... I am referring to mtb cassettes but believe the same applies to roads.

My guess the extra spacer is for 11 speed freehub?
shimano 10 speed road cassettes have always been supplied with a 1mm spacer - way before 11 speed was on the scene!

Jon2

Shimano 10 speed cassettes are 1mm thinner than 8/9 speed cassettes, despite the extra gears. Making the freehub 1mm longer means it can be used with all 3 (and probably 11 speed now) and only need a spacer for 10sp.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Shimano 10 speed cassettes are 1mm thinner than 8/9 speed cassettes, despite the extra gears. Making the freehub 1mm longer means it can be used with all 3 (and probably 11 speed now) and only need a spacer for 10sp.
yes, that's it

Top Bottom