Shimano 5700 (10 spd) with 5800 (11 spd) compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
I'm guessing that I can use a 5800 FD with 5700 chainrings and shifters. Would it be possible to use a 5800 RD with my 5700 setup or is there a significant difference in pull ratio?

I've heard good things about 5800 and need a new FD and RD, so thought I'd go down that route. Just don't want to buy 5800 replacements if pull ratio is going to mess things up. I'd have thought the FD would be fine and that maybe I could lock out the RD with the limit screw to use on 10 spd.

Any thoughts?

TIA

sabian92

Über Member
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/groupset-help-please-all-these-numbers-are-baffling-me.176198/

It was touched on in this thread, started by me :whistle:

Have a flick through, it's around page 2-3 I think.

I don't think they interchange, the RD has a different parallelogram and the FD is optimised for a shorter throw on the front shifter.
I have tried 10 speed Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and 9 speed Deore (works with 10 speed) as a RD and didn't notice any difference between any of them.
Different for a FD, Sora was rubbish, it got better incrementally after that

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I don't think they interchange, the RD has a different parallelogram and the FD is optimised for a shorter throw on the front shifter.
I have tried 10 speed Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and 9 speed Deore (works with 10 speed) as a RD and didn't notice any difference between any of them.
Different for a FD, Sora was rubbish, it got better incrementally after that

That sucks. How about 5701? I'd never even heard of it until a few hours ago. I'm guessing it's the 'in between' of 5700 and 5800?!?! My rear DR is fine, but the FD sucks. I thought by trying 5800 it may be better, but as you say, they're not compatible.

EDIT* Can't get a 5701 FD. Grrrr!

The 5703 is the triple FD, as is the left designated triple shifter.
How will this make a difference, from what I am lead to believe the chain is the same width, just narrower/inset pins, so the RD only has to move the chain the same as a 10sp cassettes are wider hence 11sp freehubs, unless I am missing something.

caplja

I'm guessing that I can use a 5800 FD with 5700 chainrings and shifters. Would it be possible to use a 5800 RD with my 5700 setup or is there a significant difference in pull ratio?

I've heard good things about 5800 and need a new FD and RD, so thought I'd go down that route. Just don't want to buy 5800 replacements if pull ratio is going to mess things up. I'd have thought the FD would be fine and that maybe I could lock out the RD with the limit screw to use on 10 spd.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Hi there, sorry for bumping old thread but I have stumble upon it and this is exactly what I need information about.

On the other thread I have read this:

No one else has mentioned so I thought I'd just make it clear that Shimano 11 speed rear derailleurs have a different pull ratio to earlier derailleurs, so you can't use an 11 speed derailleur with a 9 or 10 speed lever and vice versa. (however there may be cable routings or devices that do make this possible but I've not come across them yet.)
According to Leonard Zinn (on Velonews website) all the 11 speed cassettes are interchangeable, and chainsets/front derailleurs will almost always work to a greater or lesser degree.

So, taking that fact, have you managed get in work RD 5800 with 5700 shifters ?

Top Bottom