Shimano 8 Speed Cassette Removal........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Blimey, how old is a 8 speed 105 cassette?

If the tool does fit you will also need a chain whip

robgul

Legendary Member
Yep - that's the standard Shimano cassette tool* - and as stated you need a chain whip too (that's easy, but not really worth the bother against buying one, to make from a piece of steel and an old length of chain) to hold the cassette against the freewheel action.

* the one in the link is ONLY for hollow (i.e. QR axles) ... if you have a solid axle you'll need a tool that is just the "socket" part of the tool in the pic - and that works with either a 1/2" drive socket wrench or an open-ended spanner (17mm if my memory serves me correctly)

Rob

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Blimey, how old is a 8 speed 105 cassette?
circa 1990-93?
Yep - that's the standard Shimano cassette tool*
Thanks fellas.

I've got a chain whip and a removal tool for 10 speed cassettes, but I've not had any dealings with 8 speed before.

This is the bike I've bought. Its got a full 8 speed 105 groupset with updated, (but still very early), 105 STI shifters, (105 ST-1055).

dawesstratose.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
as its 8 speed 105 it should be HG cassette, ie you will see the splines if you remove the wheel. If you can't it's an IG cassette and you will need two chain whips, the last sprocket just holds the cassette on.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
as its 8 speed 105 it should be HG cassette, ie you will see the splines if you remove the wheel. If you can't it's an IG cassette and you will need two chain whips, the last sprocket just holds the cassette on.
Pretty sure it'll be HG then as it has a lockring on that to the untrained eye looks very much like the ones on my 10 speed. In fact a 10 speed cassette tool fits the splines, but it won't grip well enough to undo it.
Ps nice bike. Blimey, you must be tall.
Cheers Foss, I'm really pleased with it. I'm not that tall really, only 6' 5" :becool:

fossyant

Your new avatar has thrown me. Lock ring then deffo newer. PS there are some good deals on Sram PG 850 cassettes at the minute. Nice and light.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Your new avatar has thrown me.
Is that better? ^_^
There are some good deals on Sram PG 850 cassettes at the minute. Nice and light.
The plan is to ride it for now, (all seems fine), BUT, the rear gear selection is poor. The rear mech was moving at all when I picked it up. After some fettling today, (lubed mech and cables), I've got it selecting the lower 4 sprockets, but I'm suspecting the problem may be in the RH STI lever. I've been reading about the lube inside old shifters turning to paste over time and bunging them up.

FWIW the LH shifter is perfect :wacko:

Anyhoo, if the worst comes to the worst it might end up with a 9 speed upgrade due to the non-availability of period 8 speed shifters. I'm going to remove have a better look at it tomorrow, and may end up removing the shifter and soaking it in de-greaser, watch this space.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Pretty sure it'll be HG then as it has a lockring on that to the untrained eye looks very much like the ones on my 10 speed. In fact a 10 speed cassette tool fits the splines, but it won't grip well enough to undo it.

Cassette removal tools are not speed specific. Or else Park would be selling different speed tools here.

Your 8 speed lockring is probably a little damaged, perhaps through slipping in prior removal/installation or just poor quality. There is no guarantee another tool will fit any better. If I were you I would try to improve fit with some shims.

Tommy2

Über Member
I have this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356907763.884974.jpg

Which is a rear wheel with shimano 600 hub and an 8 speed cassette that doesn't have a lock ring as such.
I am replacing the full wheel set as my bike is 9 speed campagnolo so no Idea why that hub and cassette is on it,
Anyway, I will be selling the wheels with hub and cassette attached if that is of interest to you.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Update for reference - I got the cassette off with the freewheel tool I already had, similar to THIS.

A top tip I got was once you put the tool into the freewheel re-fit the QR skewer through the wheel and the tool and tighten the tool in place, then just use a spanner on the tool.

This was necessary as the tool I've linked to wouldn't fit in very far.

Oh yes, and on inspection the cassette is actually only a 7 speed HG one!

fossyant

I have this
View attachment 16826
Which is a rear wheel with shimano 600 hub and an 8 speed cassette that doesn't have a lock ring as such.
I am replacing the full wheel set as my bike is 9 speed campagnolo so no Idea why that hub and cassette is on it,
Anyway, I will be selling the wheels with hub and cassette attached if that is of interest to you.

That's an IG cassette. The bottom sprocket is screwed on to lock the cassette on !

Top Bottom