Shimano 8 speed cassettes help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoom

Über Member
I have an Rx-100 8 speed set up; last year the rear mech destroyed itself so I replaced it with a 105 9 speed which works fine. I have now bought a Tiagra compact chainset and am after a new chain and 13-26 Hg 70 cassette to go with it; it seems they only make HG50 now (Tiagra equivalent). I had problems changing when I was using the 13-23 cassette. Has anyone experience of the Hg-50? is it just a bit heavier or a fundamentally different cassette (ie doesn't have the special cogs to aid shifting?)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Shouldn't be any real noticeable difference from what you been using tbh.

OP
OP
Zoom

Zoom

Über Member
Steve Austin said:
Shouldn't be any real noticeable difference from what you been using tbh.

that's what I thought; I'm sure I've used hg50 in the past but not sure on which bike (my other one was 7 speed RSX), well at £14 it's worth a go. Thanks :biggrin:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
you do know they are very cheap here

Cassettes are very similar until you get to the Dura-ace/XTR range which get fancy ti sprockets, but ime they all shift pretty much the same

OP
OP
Zoom

Zoom

Über Member
giant man said:
Hi zoom I run 8 speed RSX and I recently replaced my cassette with Shimano HG50 13-23 and also new chain, SRAM PC-870.

It will be running through a 9 speed chainset and rear mech but AIUI it's ok to use 8 speed with 9 speed drivetrain not vice versa

campagman

Guru
Very soon I am going to be changing from Shimano 7 spd to 8 spd. I have bought a SRAM 8 spd cassette from SPA cycles. I read some good reports about them. I have not done it yet so maybe I should not be posting but these cassettes are an alternative.

Monty Dog

The differences between the HG50, 70 and 90 is often purely down to finish i.e. the plating of the metal, or the increased number of lightening cut-outs in the sprockets themselves to save weight. The shape and profile or the teeth are identical, so functionally there is no difference.

Cranky

campagman said:
Very soon I am going to be changing from Shimano 7 spd to 8 spd. I have bought a SRAM 8 spd cassette from SPA cycles. I read some good reports about them. I have not done it yet so maybe I should not be posting but these cassettes are an alternative.

I can definitely recommend SRAM PG850 - road and MTB versions.

giant man

Zoom said:
so what Shimano chain should I use with hg50 8 speed?
Don't go for shimano chains imo. Sram are sooo much better. As in my previous post zoom, I have the PC-870 8 speed chain to go with my HG50 cassette.

OP
OP
Zoom

Zoom

Über Member
I just bought an HG70 chain to go with the cassette (which arrived yesterday and looks exactly the same as my HG70 one except the lockring is black not chrome); Decathlon still do them.

Top Bottom