Shimano 9 speed campatible with 10 speed hud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markinho

Hello,
I have a Shimano Ultegra 9-speed set-up on my bike and would like to buy new wheels, Mavic, but it would seem that they all come with 10-speed hubs. Is it possible to fit a 9-speed rear cassette to a 10-speed hub? Would a spacer have to be used or is the actual cassette width the same between 9 and 10 speed hubs as was the 8 and 9 speed cassettes?

Thanks

It may just go on fine and not be a problem but I think I am right in thinking that you will need a Spacer.

kyuss

Veteran
As far as I'm aware the only hubs that are 10spd only are the new Dura Ace ones. I think everything else is 8/9/10spd compatible. What wheels are they?

10spd cassettes are actually slightly smaller so need a spacer when fitting on 9spd hubs but your current cassette shouldn't need one.

RedBike

A 9 speed cassette wont fit on a 10 speed specific hub. A 9 spd cassette is actually wider (and the splines are different).

However, most hubs aren't 10speed specific, they're 8,9and 10. I don't think Mavic make a 10speed specific hub (worth double checking).

RedBike

Mavic hubs can be slightly strange. You often need a spacer (That should be included with the wheels when new) in order to fit a shimano cassette.

Mavics - Ksyriums, Cosmics, Aksiums - have the Mavic M10 hub, which is a Mavic-fit hub not 'proper' Shimano although it has Shimano splines.

It can take Campag or Shimano, because as well as taking Shimano cassettes, Mavic sell Campag-spaced but Shimano-splined 10sp cassettes which fit on it.

The Campag cassettes are a bit wider than Shimano, so to fit Shimano you also need a Mavic spacer (a 2.something mm big thin washer basically) which will be supplied with the wheels.

A Shimano 10sp cassette is actually narrower than Shimano 8 or 9sp cassettes, so when you get a new 10sp cassette it comes with a thin spacer (1.something mm) and you fit this to Shimano wheels which are 8/9/10sp compatible.
(Shimano also make some 10sp-only hubs, some rarer Dura Ace/Ultegra models, and on these a 8 or 9sp cassette will be too wide and you won't be able to get it on)

But for you, with Mavic M10 hub
- to fit 8 or 9sp Shimano, you'd use the Mavic spacer between the hub and cassette
- to fit 10sp Shimano, you'd use the Mavic spacer and the Shimano 10sp spacer
(and to fit Campag, you'd use simply the Mavic Shimano-splined but Campag-spaced cassette and no spacers)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
RedBike said:
A 9 speed cassette wont fit on a 10 speed specific hub. A 9 spd cassette is actually wider (and the splines are different).

I agree with the fact that 10speed are wider, but are the splines different?

i got 3 hubs in the garage that say otherwise......

peanut

8,9 & 10 speed cassettes will all fit on any shimano compatable freehub except the aluminium freehubs. These are generally only fitted to Dura Ace hubs hence why they are called 10 speed specific. If the Shimano freehub is steel it will accept 8,9 or 10 speed Shimano cassettes including Dura Ace cassettes.
It is the 10 speed cassette that requires the shim washer because the cassette is narrower than 8 or 9 speed. If you do not fit the washer the cassette will move about on the freehub.
9 speed cassettes have a slight indentation in the back of the biggest sprocket to allow the cassette to install a fraction deeper on the freehub so it overhangs the freehub a fraction. This is because 9 speed is fractionally wider than 8 speed
from Sheldon Brown's site
10-speed Combinations:

Note: Shimano 8- and 9- and 10-speed cassettes/hubs are fully interchangeable for wheels with steel Freehub bodies.
The only parts that are different in any important way between the 8- and 9- and 10-speed systems are the shift control levers.The 2004 and later Dura-Ace hub has an aluminum Freehub body, so it only works with 10 speed cassettes.
The 2005 and later Ultegra WH-R600 complete wheels also use an aluminum body, 10-speed only. (Standard Ultegra hubs have steel Freehub bodies.)
Dura-Ace 10 cassettes have titanium sprockets from 18 teeth and larger.

RedBike

I agree with the fact that 10speed are wider, but are the splines different?

i got 3 hubs in the garage that say otherwise......

Yes, the splines on the dura-ace 10 speed only hub are deeper than normal. If you look at a 10 speed cassette you'll notice the notches are deeper than on a 9 speed cassette.

I expect the notches on the 10sp cassette are deeper to allow the aluminium 10sp hub to have deeper splines, alu being softer than steel.

However, the downside of this is that some other companies have 8/9/10sp-compatible alu freehubs, and these can have a problem with 10sp cassettes cutting-into the splines because of their deeper grooves, in a way that 8- or 9sp cassettes don't, meaning you can't get the cassette off again.

kyuss

Veteran
andy_wrx said:
...some other companies have 8/9/10sp-compatible alu freehubs, and these can have a problem with 10sp cassettes cutting-into the splines because of their deeper grooves, in a way that 8- or 9sp cassettes don't, meaning you can't get the cassette off again.

I've got this problem with my Planet X wheels. I can still get the cassette off with a bit of wiggling but the freehub is in a right mess.

Top Bottom