Shimano Alfine hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Skwerl. I don't think thats the problem. Did you read the OPs first post? :biggrin:

Its about chain tension. He can't stop the wheel slipping in the dropout, so he keeps losing chain tension..
two solutions
1.chain tensioner
2.stop wheel slipping

d_c_h_w

Über Member
I think shifting will change as the distance the gear cable attaches to the hub is changing, depending on how far the hub is into the dropout.

On older hub gears you definetely need to re-adjust gear cable tension after taking the wheel out of horizontal dropouts. Not sure how this applies to the alfine hub, or how tension is adjusted on these hubs.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
you don't need anything to keep cable tension. the alfine hub comes with its own cable tensioner
its the little black arm sticking out in this pic
shimano-alfine-hub.jpg

skwerl

Steve Austin said:
Skwerl. I don't think thats the problem. Did you read the OPs first post? ;)

Its about chain tension. He can't stop the wheel slipping in the dropout, so he keeps losing chain tension..
two solutions
1.chain tensioner
2.stop wheel slipping

yes I did but the post suggests that the poor chain tension is affecting shifting. There's no mention of the wheel slipping in the stays.

"My problem is when I am putting the rear wheel back on I can never seem to get the chain tension bang on, I can get the wheel on straight and I try and give the chain between a half to one inch slack but it just isn't right when I next take the bike out. Every so often the gear will take a wee while to change or the chain sounds as though it is going slip off the front chain ring "

skwerl

so. my point stands. Is the slack chain actually causing a problem?

it's not likely to cause shifting problems

it may be at risk of unshipping on bumpy ground but it would have to be particularly loose to do that

does the wheel need to come off for cleaning anyway? getting liquid on the pads isn't an issue. They're designed to cope with crud. As long as no oil/grease gets in there and any cleaning solution is rinsed out they'll be fine.

Try the following method of setting chain tension on a fixie:

Pull the wheel back, as far as you can, to get the chain taught. Set the wheel off-centre in the stays so the leading edge of the wheel is towards the non-drive side stay.

Tighten up the non-drive side bolt so it's semi-tight but loose enough to slip under pressure

Push against the leading edge of the wheel to centre it. The non-drive side bolt should slip slightly but should still maintain enough grip to keep the chain under tension. This will add enough tension to the chain to get it nice and taught.

Tighten the drive side and then tighten the non-drive side properly.

You'll never get the correct tension by just pulling the wheel back by hand.

Other option is to push a wedge between the wheel and the chain-stay bridge

Dusty

dusty

Hi guys. While I don't have an answer to the question I am interested in the Alfine as I have recently bought a bike (Giant ) that has one fitted. It also has a chain tensioner as there is a 50/34 chainset up front. My problem is that I bought it from Germany and it arrived with no information on how to set up and maintain. I wondered if you might know where I could find that info.

d_c_h_w

Über Member
Steve Austin said:
you don't need anything to keep cable tension. the alfine hub comes with its own cable tensioner

ok, so the outer sleeve of the gear cable attaches directly to the hub to negate the need for re-adjustment when replacing the wheel, but it does sound like it might be out of adjustment, due to cable stretch or whatever.

The alfine tech docs in the post above show how to tension the gear cable to achieve correct shifting.

Or as has been mentioned previously it could be the fact the chain is too loose, or it could be a stiff link in the chain.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies and sorry I haven't posted sooner as I have been doing night shifts:angry:

Just to clarify the initial situation, my chain tension just wasn't right, as it was grinding / slipping on the front chain ring and occasionally wouldn't change gear normally round about gear 3 4 5 under load.

The gear tension was fine as this has a tension twister on the gear lever(you put the gear into 4 and twist so that two lines match up with the hub and gear shifter)

I took it into the LBS today for them to look at, it seems that one of the axle nuts threads had stripped and my wheel was slightly loose, how I never noticed this is worrying:blush:

They said that the bike is fine and have shown me how to try and set the tension the same way that has been mentioned earlier in this thread (cheers:biggrin:)

I haven't had the chance to go back out on it as I am working again and had to stick it in the back of the car.

So this is just to say a big thanks for every ones help BUT I might be back if the tension doesn't settle :smile:

Steve Austin said:
shimano-alfine-hub.jpg
Hi Steve

Any chance you could send me the pic from your post. it seems to be missing. (I'm having problems with my Alfine slipping)

Regards

mark

Top Bottom